PDA

View Full Version : Cops confiscated my 3 wheeler

Power_Ram100
10-11-2004, 05:17 PM
This summer I bought a 1983 Big Red from my friend. It didn’t come with any title. So I was doing some work on it and noticed the VIN was partly grinded off. Hunting season was coming up so I needed an ORV permit. I had to take the 3 wheeler to the State Patrol to get it inspected; they would give me a piece of paper that I would take to the licensing place to get my ORV permit. All State Patrol does is make sure its not stolen and that your have position of the vehicle. Well the State Patrol couldn’t figure out my VIN because it was partly grinded off. The said it was a crime to alter the VIN of a vehicle so they confiscated it until they can figure out what the VIN says. The guy said "don’t count on using it for the hunting this year" They gave me a case number and said they would call to tell me if I get it back or not. So now I don’t have anything to use for hunting this year. Ill probably never get it back. :mad:

jay
10-11-2004, 05:26 PM
i would keep on them, it will probably get lost in paper work and one of them will take it home. don't let them forget about you

Wickedfinger
10-11-2004, 05:46 PM
The VIN should be located on the engine cases too. Sounds to me like its stolen though.

TRI-Zbrian
10-11-2004, 05:51 PM
yeah there is a couple different places you can find the vin on those.... the engine, the steering neck, and right by the foot peg usually....

Pistonhead
10-11-2004, 05:52 PM
That *****, usually when the VIN is scratched off its a hot bike though.

200xkwit
10-11-2004, 06:10 PM
well how do they know the frame wasnt just switched?

AirManCam
10-11-2004, 06:13 PM
I hope you got a bill of sale!

Power_Ram100
10-11-2004, 06:19 PM
Ya i did get a bill of sale. They did run the engine VIN and it wasnt in their computer. They think sanding on the VIN will show the VIN but some of the grind marks go pretty deep.

skippy
10-11-2004, 07:11 PM
yepper.. in maryland its also against the law to possess a bike w an altered or removed VIN.. good luck

MTS
10-11-2004, 07:36 PM
to show the vin back up theres this acid stuff they can use on it most of the time..they use it to chec filed off numbers on stolen guns..man that *****..sounds like its stolen :(

Yamahauler
10-11-2004, 08:17 PM
those bastards

deathman53
10-11-2004, 08:24 PM
I passed up a 250sx for free, because the numbers were grinded off. atleast my trikes have vin numbers and my 250r is clear, a long story about 2 sundays ago, but in short the cop didn't like bikes, he ran my plates and my vin and also my freinds bikes and truck and he found a warrant for the owner of the truck my friend was driving. my 200x I know the history, one of my atc 250r's I do, my 88r I know the history

ATC crazy
10-11-2004, 08:41 PM
To me...thats just BS. They shouldnt be able just to take your machine just because there are grind marks on the VIN#. They dont know if you did it while grinding off a bolt and the grinding wheel hit the # do they?

smokey
10-11-2004, 09:49 PM
To me...thats just BS. They shouldnt be able just to take your machine just because there are grind marks on the VIN#. They dont know if you did it while grinding off a bolt and the grinding wheel hit the # do they?
I agree With that

Lots_Of_Nothing
10-11-2004, 10:25 PM
there just doing there job, sounds like partly your fault for not inspecting the key features on the bike before buying

jenndnn3
10-12-2004, 08:16 AM

I didn't know there were bolts near the vins..... :Bounce

Kook
10-12-2004, 09:36 AM
**one of them will take it home**

Yeah, in the 12 years I was a cop, we regularly went into the evidence room and compound area and just "took things home". Hell, you have to sign three different forms just to take your OWN equipment home, much less steal something. It's BS comments like that that make cops a-holes toward some people. Gets old.

jay
10-12-2004, 04:38 PM
my comment wasn't meant to be nasty. i was just saying that he should not forget about. keep his name heard. if it sits there and he doesn't keep in touch , i would think they would get rid of it in time if noone wants it. are you seeing what i am saying. i am not bashing cops at all so don't take it that way . sorry kook

83185s
10-12-2004, 05:38 PM
yea thats gay man im not sure if u have to do that here in indiana but i wouldnt register it anyway cause the only place i hunt is in my own woods...u cant say ***** but u can say bastards on here...hmmm