PDA

View Full Version : anyone got the old racers?

Wild250R
10-11-2004, 03:57 AM
Was just wondering if anyone out there knows what happened to all the old racing trikes. I presume they must have at one time or another , been abundantly found in lots of areas? Any pictures, details, etc - would be interesting to see. There was a racing 250R on eBay a couple of months ago, being parted out , short track tank, muggy forks and extended front mud guard, it was cool to see some unique bits that are still sometimes available, any help appriciated guys, Cheers! :beer

TrikerR
10-11-2004, 05:29 AM
a guy on here has quitte a few of them

TrikerR
10-11-2004, 05:32 AM
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=24734

thats some of them

skippy
10-11-2004, 10:54 AM
i got a hold of paul turner's old bike from 1086, the title is still in his name an so on..wasnt really a big racer back then or now.. a real tuner though.. i bought it soley cause it was his though.. some mods, not a ton though.. its getting restored right now.. down to the frame...im keeping his parts to mount up, along w his ole plastic.. just new bolts, and pc everythg.

cliff2302
10-11-2004, 07:21 PM
i've got an old kawasaki racer. Some specs are in my signature, so i won't re-type them. It also has some radical port work done to the engine, the forks are lowered in the triples, 8" rims with the old blue tires. "modified" left foot peg, which basically means someone put about a 5 foot pipe on it and bent it up. Oh yea, almost forgot, it also has a 41mm mikuni flatslide carb. Thats about it, i wil try to get some pics this next week when i'm on break from college.

Jeb
10-21-2004, 12:41 PM
Here's my Tri-Z. The guy I bought it from a few years ago said the original owner, who he got it from and was friend of his, raced it back in the day on a local level. I inquired about the original owner to get info and he told me he had passed away. So whether it was actually a racer or not, I cannot verify.

When I got it, it looked allot worse. And it had signs of being an old racer. The stock airbox, gas tank and lights were gone. It had a tank under the airbox cover. Open element air filter on the carb, wheel spacers, and the Bill's exhaust system. Also had a twist throttle. It didn't have a front number plate, but had number plate background and numbers on the top of the rear fenders. It also had a home-made lowering strut for the rear end. It was and still is plenty quick.

Since I got it, I tried to add to the racer image by adding the front screen plate, westcoast swingarm, turf tamer tires, and a few other items. I mean who knows? that's the way it could have looked at the races in 1985/86. One other addition i've made is I'm running the 23x11 rim, hub, and tire off my 85 ATC250R.

Wild250R
10-21-2004, 03:30 PM
Looks like a rare old Beastie!! Has it had any porting or exhaust work done Jeb? And have you ever had the rear axle apart? If so, any tips on gettin the Driven sprocket off the axle, I'm havin a bit of Barney Rubble gettin the begger to come off!!! Cheers

Jeb
10-21-2004, 05:03 PM
I can't say for sure if it's ported or not until I tear into the top-end someday. The cylinder has no external markings on it the way some shops add their logo. Also, I've never had the rear axle apart. I'm not sure how to get the sprocket carrier off. I know on the KXT it's held on by an internal snap ring. even with the snap ring removed it can be trouble to get the carrier off the splines outside the ring groove without cleaning them up some. again that's my experience with my old 84 KXT.