PDA

View Full Version : 200x lights

stevo3176
10-10-2004, 08:29 PM
I have a 200x and the lights are pretty dim. they also take asec or two to light up when i turn them on. What is causing this It runs fine just the light are dim?

smokinp
10-11-2004, 12:13 AM
this is because the 200x does not have a battery so it runs off the engine rpm(notice when you start it up and rev on it the lights are brighter)you could buy a battery adapter kit

stevo3176
10-11-2004, 10:09 AM
I know it doesn't have a battery but the lights are dim even when you ride hard.

TRI-Zbrian
10-11-2004, 11:05 AM
sounds like maybe a bad groun or your lighting coil is dieing out.... you have to remember man trailprotrailpro trike is nearly 20 years old so it is going to show signs of ware and tare on the electrical sytem eventualy... but im sure its something simple.

id clean all the grounds if not re wire the whole lighting system and then lastly replace the lighting coil.

stevo3176
10-11-2004, 02:17 PM
Thanks, the rear tail lights are some rigged up trailor light set up form the previous owner. Could that affect the front lights?

vartiak15
10-11-2004, 06:30 PM
it could i dont think so tho. just clean the grounds off. like the frame ground.

TRI-Zbrian
10-11-2004, 07:01 PM
if the trailer lights on the rear have to high of a wattage bulb then that is deff your problem it will bog yur whole electrical system down..... if i were you disconect the rear lights then start it and turn the lights on if the dimming prob from the headlight goes away then you know the trailer lights are indeed your problem.

my guess is the bulbs in the trailer lights are too high of a wattage for the 200x lighting coil so its making all the lights dim out.

als i have done simulare things in the past so i am speaking from experience man... disconect the rear lights... start the trike if the prob goes away then you know to get the right watage tail light or lower wattage bulbs for your present set up

stevo3176
10-11-2004, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the ideas, i unplugged the rear light and they satyed dim. I will chack the grounds for the light tommorrow.

TimSr
10-12-2004, 01:15 PM
Disconnecting the tailight and taking it out of the mix is the right step. Also, voltage will drop over the resistance of a bad connection, hot or ground. Check and grease connectors. Also make sure the inside of the lenses are clean. Should be a no brainer, but its amazing how badly they are neglected. Also pull the front bulbs and make sure they are the right ones. Bulbs rated at a higher wattage than what the system can deliver will be very dim, and are worse than a lesser wattage bulb that the system can handle adequately. Also, replacing halogen bulbs with much cheaper standard bulbs will be much dimmer. Provided you have all the correct bulbs, and wiring/connectors are good briefly disconnect the voltage regulator, and see if they light properly. Dont rev it with the regulator disconnected, though, or it will blow all of your bulbs!

stevo3176
10-12-2004, 09:25 PM
Here is where I am at, I check the only ground that I could located which is by the ignition coil and it looked good. I cleaned it up anyway but still the lights were dim. I also checked the bulb and it is the correct one 12V 60 W. So im stumped where to check next?