PDA

View Full Version : 15 tooth front sprocket

RideRed250R
10-08-2004, 07:21 PM
iam in a position to buy a 15 tooth front sprocket for my atc250R 1983. I already know that it will give me some really good top end, but i also know with the good comes the bad so how much bottom end do you think iam going to loose, thanks
adam

trikerider2oo7
10-08-2004, 07:27 PM
you wont loose any top end...you will lose bottom end and gain top end

hadar
10-08-2004, 07:36 PM
You might find that you went too far. How many teeth did you start with? It all depends on what you want to do with the machine. I used to beat my brothers 85 250r up a 600 ft hill on my 84 tecate. I went from a 13 tooth to a 14 tooth and now it's dead even for the most part. I even loose sometimes. But I used to mop him. It all depends on what you want. Over all I like the 14 tooth.

RideRed250R
10-08-2004, 08:57 PM
yah if i got that it would be mostly for a top end bike cause right know i have a 13 and i am very happy with it, smooth threw all gears and your still hangin on for DEAR LIFE! so the only thing i could see is going down a tooth just for hill shootin but i was just thinkin it would be interesting on a dry lake bed.
adam

TRI-Zbrian
10-08-2004, 09:09 PM
i cant remember what gears i had for sure but about 2 years back i had a tri z that i did up a good bit and i got 93 MPH out of it clocked my a radar gun on a paved road :Bounce
but that was just for the hell of it to see what it would do after that i geared it back down to ware i was able to ride it in the sand pits again because i didnt need top end speed for what i did with it... it was a sand pit wall climber :TrikesOwn
the only probs i had with it was keeping the front end down in the pts... realy could have used an extended swing arm.

man oh man i miss my tri z... i need to find another one that needs soem loving/rebuilding :( .. ive had to and told my self both times that i wont ever get rid of that one and i soem how alwase did cause of hard times and in need of a car worse then a toy... :rolleyes: but ill find one again... i may have a chance at buying my old one back ill know in the next couple of days.

but any way if you do any type of hill climbing stuuf liek that ware you need the low end power then id stay away from the 15 tooth and go with a 14 tooth you have both top end and low end also depending on what you have for a rear sprocke.... but it is alwase cheaper to gear a bike up or down with the front sprocket.... good luck man :TrikesOwn

350x'inNY
10-08-2004, 11:41 PM
My 82 250R had a 15 tooth on it when I bought it. Since I ride in the woods, fields, I went and put a stock 13 back on. In a way, I miss it... it's so snotty now, I tore the tire off the rim! If I go through the gears, it picks the front up through the first 4 gears.

Bruce