PDA

View Full Version : carb removal !@#$%

bigredhead
10-07-2004, 09:11 AM
HEEEELLLLPPPP...

ok.. here we go again. 84 Big Red 200 ES.

I want to remove the carb to clean it out and i can't get it out.

I posted a while back and was told i should remove the air box and take the carb out thru that opening.

My problem: the carb is held to the airbox with a phillips screw on a collar, there is a hole on the top part of the frame to insert a screw driver and loosen the screw, however it's not lined up and i'm afraid to force it and break the rubber boot.

the choke cable is routed to the handle bars and is attached to the carb and i can't seem to get the cable loose either.

The only bolts i can find to remove the air box are 2 10-12 mil bolts right next to the battery but i can't imagine this being the only thing holding the airbox on ???

anyone by any chance willing to scan me a few pages on removin the carb from this puppy ?

and any tips on loosening the screw that holds the carb to the airbox? without causing damage?

i'm desperate here guys..

83200e
10-07-2004, 10:50 AM
If the clamp isn't lined up with the hole,spray the entire thing with penetrating oil and slide the clamp with a prybar or screwdriver.Hopefully it'll slide enough to remove it.

bigredhead
10-07-2004, 11:18 AM
Cool.. seems logical.

i was hesitant about spraying wd-40 on the exterior of the carb like that, but since i'm cleaning it out anyways it should be fine right?

Mr. Sandman
10-07-2004, 11:19 AM
Tip #1 - Buy a repair manual, (Clymer manuals are a good start) you would've been done by now if you had one.

bigredhead
10-07-2004, 12:09 PM
I bid on a few so far on e-bay but some idiot either keeps retracting their item or outbiding me at the last 0.5 second.

I will get one as soon as possible, but i want to fix my trike NOW.

MTS
10-07-2004, 01:25 PM
to get the throttel cabel out you have to unscrew the plunger on the top of the carb where the cabel go's in it unscrews like a bottel of pop :P and the rubber boot..there is normally2-4 bolts holdin the air box on..under the seat..pretty easiy to find..if you look. :D take the 2 nuts off the the carb holding it to the intake boot..then you should beable to move the carb+air box as one piece back and forth enough to get at the screw on the rubber boot..if not use wd-40 and pry it off...then pull it out though the air box hole or to the right or left of the carb...hopes this helps :D

bigredhead
10-07-2004, 02:06 PM
Thank you !!!

i knew how to remove the throttle cable from the carb.. but it's the choke cable that's being a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro.. ( i'll get that one tho.. not a huge deal )

the carb to the airbox is the part that *****. ( will try the wd-40 and ^^^ )

i see 2 bolts right next to the battery, i can remove those easily enough, hopefully it comes out this easily...

THANKS AGAIN EVEYONE !!!! YOU GUYS ROCK !

rob0781
10-07-2004, 02:07 PM
i'm off work today and home doing nothin do you want help???

bigredhead
10-07-2004, 02:36 PM
sure..

but maybe give me a call first to make sure i'm there.. i got a few things on the go but i really want to get to this as soon as possible !

i'll be home by 6:30 pm.

rob0781
10-07-2004, 03:01 PM
ok ,i still got your # saved in my pm's also any certain tools we might need that i might have kickin around here?

bigredhead
10-07-2004, 03:38 PM
don't think so.

well.. maybe. you got compressed air ? ( either in cans or anyother means? ) or carb cleaner ? Even a spare plug would be a good thing !

i'm going to check our Radio Shack after work and try and grab a can.

rob0781
10-07-2004, 04:16 PM
no i haven't got any compressed air(i wish i had a compressor)i had a can of air but i used it on the carb of the 110atc i had before and my cd player,,i've got a spare plug i'll bring that ....also if radio shack doesn't have air and your handy to staples they carry it..

bigredhead
10-07-2004, 04:30 PM
Cool..

i'm off work now , heading to radio crack, and will be home in a little over 30 minutes ( my ride is done at 6 ! and i'm a 5 minute ride ! )

rob0781
10-07-2004, 04:41 PM
sounds good,i'll give ya a ring in a bit..