PDA

View Full Version : How-To Get Trikes Running Again

hondatrikesrule22
10-06-2004, 03:47 PM
I don't know if there is another post like this, so I thought I would give it a try. This post is for people who have them old bikes rotting away in their backyard (you know who you are :p ). I just picked up a dirtbike the other day, and I am using these same steps. Here we go....

Buy all these things before starting, it will save some gas money.

Shopping List (these are things you will need)

A Spark Plug
Fuel Line and Vent Hose
Carb Cleaner
Oil
Fresh Fuel
Air Filter
Chain (if its rusted bad enough to where you can't use it)
Fix-a-Flat (optional)
New battery (optional)

The first thing you need to do is pull out the spark plug (with the plug cap still attached. Hold the spark plug against the motor and turn the engine over. You should get a nice blue spark. If you don't, check over these things to help eleminate the problem.

Check your ground wire, and clean the mating surface on the frame.
Check for cracked or "naked" wires.
Make sure your timing is set right. Make sure your kill switch is on the " on " postion.
Finally clean all contact points on the wires.

Next, remove the carb. Dissasemble it, and clean it with the carb cleaner.OR, let sit in a bucket of carb cleaner overnight. Put the carb back on.

Take off the fuel tank, drain all the old gas, and put it back on the bike. Install your new fuel line at this time.

Now, get a large pan, and put it under the bike. Remove the oil drain plug, and let all the oil drain out (it will probably be sludge LOL). Put the oil plug back in, and fill it up with fresh oil. After you get the bike running, you will want to change the oil again to get rid of all the old oil.

Fill up your fuel tank with fresh fuel.

If your bike has been sitting in the rain, more than likely your chain is rusted to hell.If it isn't, re-use it. It is is, the easiet way to do this is to take a cut-off wheel, and cut the chain off. Now, put on your new chain.

Depending on how bad your bike is, I always like to dissasemble the rear end and front end and grease everything. It really helps out in the long run. I also like to grease brake cables and throttle cables.

Change or clean your air filter at this time. Re install.

Next, fill up your tires. If they have holes and don't hold air, use some fix-a-flat. If they have huge hloes in them, go some different tires.

Here is something else I like to do. Before your ride it, wash it. Clean all the little nooks and crannies, and get rid of the animals nests and spider webs.

Depending on how bad your bike is, it should be ready to go. But some need a little more attention than others do. So keep this in mind while working on it.

Now, the big moment, give the pull starter a pull, or give the kicker a kick, or push the button, and it should fire right up. I hope this will give a better understanding to anybody who want to revive an old 3-wheeler, or a dirt bike.These steps apply to just anout anything with a motor. Thanks for reading. :D

rob0781
10-06-2004, 04:00 PM
well even without spark i wouldn't just drop it,could be somthin very simple,i seen people also tryin to get a bike goin and pulled the recoil over 100 times and it sounds like it wants to go and it sparks and gets gas and nothin i find usually thats because the ignition timing is off and it get gas and spark at the wrong time usually it's only off by 180 degree;s not sure what causes it but i've seen it happen many times even on the 110 i had..

hondatrikesrule22
10-07-2004, 11:47 AM
So, no one has anything to say? :confused:

TrikerR
10-07-2004, 11:50 AM
what should we say.

83200e
10-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Throw in some electrical troubleshooting tips and you've got yourself a good beginners post.

hondatrikesrule22
10-07-2004, 01:14 PM
Problem fixed. :)