PDA

View Full Version : choke or throttle cable problem? or what?

conig
10-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Ok if you've been paying attention to some of my posting or post whoreing I have been having carb problems on my 86- 250 big red.

Anyway previously my big red ran strong when on the gas but refused to idle when it warmed up, but it ran nice and strong, and would always kick over first kick after it stalled out. (it put out alot of black smoke and fouled some plugs though with black carbon.

I moved the carb needle clip to one stage leaner and walla I have idle. but like this when ever I would go to gun it it would just sort of sputter until I let off the gas. If I rolled into the gas it wasn;t such a problem. It did this when ever I would try to gun it( like when poping a wheelie). I did notice that I had an extra high flow jet from the ones I replaced installed in the low flow position. (I don't know how I messed this up)

So I moved the clip back to the previous rich position and magically all of a sudden the trike would idle. this is exactly as it was previously. Now the trike would run strong sometimes and other times do the sputter thing, regardless of up hill or down hill or whatever.

another problem that developed after the last listed adjustment was the trike would rev itself up. However the throttle would be all the way back and I checked the spring on the carb and its not sticking any. (the throttle would be in the idle position) reving the gas didn;t effect it, it would still want to rev up. You can cut the engine off and re kick it and it would start up and idle fine and then do the rev up thing again after 5-10-15-20 minutes.( it did the rev up thing once or twice before but maybe once a week) the whole time doing this sometimes runnning good thing sometimes running bad.

I still have black smoke coming out of my exhaust.

I think maybe the choke is sticking or the throttle cable is, anyone have an idea which would be the culprit? or any other ideas as to what is going on. could it be the petcock? this was giving me some issues before, tricke would run in res but not in the on postion, now it runs in either.

atckowalski
10-05-2004, 12:47 AM
It sounds like you have rust in your gas tank. It plugs up your fuel filter,gas line, main jet and by this point,the whole carb.Try removing the gas line from the carb. and get a fuel sample in a clear glass bottle and check it for rust and water.

conig
10-05-2004, 10:29 AM
your most likely spot on. I think thats what was clogging the jets before.

If I see rust particles in the fuel what do I do to fix it? is there a way to clean the tank or do I have to get a new gas tank ?

bonkers_200s
10-05-2004, 02:50 PM
i was having the same high reving problem, my 200s would idle when it was cold but not so good after it warmed up. i made a mixture adjustment, and that fixed it.

after riding for a bit, mine would start racing really fast, turns out my fuel cap vent was plugged up, soaked it in brake cleaner compressed the spring in the cap and blew it out, hasent done it since.

took me awhile to realize it, but while it was racing really high, i took the gas cap off for some reason, then it slowly went to a nice idle.