PDA

View Full Version : How much wear on the 350X clutch basket is too much.

ClayW
10-02-2004, 02:45 PM
I just tore my 350X down for a clutch job and found a mess. The cam follower tip was completely broke off. and a piece of the case near the kickstarter hole is busted off. The clutch basket teeth have some small grooves ( wear ). The further out the worse it gets. Is this something to wory about? Should I file them smooth. The discs dont seem to hang or get in a bind. What do ya think. Im giong to have to locate a new side cover. Mines screwed.

ClayW
10-02-2004, 03:16 PM
Is the big nut that holds the pressure plate and fiction discs in place left handed threads or not? I also just found that on the tip of the kickstarter theres a bushing that butts up against the case. Its busted to $#%#. I will have to find one.

ClayW
10-02-2004, 03:38 PM
Got the big nut off. Just have the questions still on the clutch basket. ANYONE?

ClayW
10-02-2004, 06:01 PM
Here are some pics of the basket. I also included a pic of the inside part of the cover that broke at some point before I got the bike. The cam follower tip ( ear ) is broken off. and a chunk is missing near the hole where the kickstarter hole is. THe bushing at the very end of the kickstarter shaft up against the block was in 3 pieces. Would these problems account for the kickstarter not returning up when the bike cranks? Any way heres the pics. Boy I wish I could get some answers.

ClayW

MTS
10-02-2004, 07:54 PM
i see thos ridges on most clutches...im not shure if they are good or bad..but i think they cause the clutch to slip sometimes..

samster143
10-03-2004, 12:17 AM
Those grooves are a bad thing... I have heard to flie them smooth but that increases the slop between the plates and the basket. I have read that the best way to get it right is to get the fingers tig welded up and then file it down to just fit the clutch plates in there. The tig welds are suppoesd to be much stronger than the cast clutch basket. This is what I have read.

kilabeez0
10-03-2004, 01:06 AM
replace the basket would be easier, but might cost more.

MO350X
10-03-2004, 08:09 AM
A new Honda is around $260.
Aftermarket is probably pretty close to that price and MUCH stronger.

There tends to be one or two on Ebay pretty often, good used.
Worth a look!

Good luck.

ClayW
10-03-2004, 08:27 AM
Well I landed a couple of needed parts on EBAY last night. I got an entire clutch assembly with a real GOOD looking basket with good clutches. Got it for $41. I also got a real nice engine right side cover for $26. That will cure alot of the problem. All I need now is the bushing for the end of the kicstarter shaft. Boy, what a day. I lucked up that there were parts on EBAY that were ending last night.

MTS
10-03-2004, 02:40 PM
i would suggest just going to the honda shop or to an auntomotive shop..most of the time they have bushings and are cheap..i my self have a friend that machines all of them for my projects :)

Kristopher
03-25-2021, 04:43 AM
That little "bushing" is the decompression cam follower. Mine are broke too. I have 2 350x and the both run fine with it broken. Just a little harder to kick. This is just my experience. It's caused by not having aligned correctly when you tighten the right side crank case cover.

BarnBoy
03-25-2021, 08:45 AM
17 yrs later............

BOB MARLIN
03-25-2021, 09:01 AM
I 've seen people just file the basket down until the groves are gone. I bought a brand new OEM clutch basket about 6 years ago for $65 at the honda dealer, I guess there has been a big price jump.
I find that a lot of the decomp actuators are broken of. Yes , it is from not having things lined up right when putting the cover back on. You don't need the decomp anyway unless your running a Goki. Check the oil screen while your in there. I find silicon pieces in there a lot of times from people using silicon as a gasket. Silicon has no business being around engine oil.

oldskool83
03-25-2021, 09:06 AM
I file the basket teeth, its not hard just match file with opposite tooth make sure yours 90 deg . Next I put in a drill press and drill 2 small oiling holes 1/8" about 1/2" apart. Its poor mans hinson basket. more oil you get back there the better. You want the teeth to be smooth. if you see teeth marks your just going to have an ever harder pull.

I use new fibers and plates, i use OEM springs however. I like a softer pull, who doesn't

El Camexican
03-26-2021, 12:24 AM
I file the basket teeth, its not hard just match file with opposite tooth make sure yours 90 deg . Next I put in a drill press and drill 2 small oiling holes 1/8" about 1/2" apart. Its poor mans hinson basket. more oil you get back there the better. You want the teeth to be smooth. if you see teeth marks your just going to have an ever harder pull.

I use new fibers and plates, i use OEM springs however. I like a softer pull, who doesn't

More oil on the clutch is better? How so?

Dirtcrasher
03-27-2021, 02:07 PM

Where do you drill the holes to add oil??