PDA

View Full Version : Finally, time to build my 350X! (and weld the broken frame)

Joel85350X
01-05-2003, 07:40 PM
Well, after owning a 1985 ATC 350X for almost a year now, I am very comfortable with it and all of the characteristics and benefits it offers. Now what? Time to make it scream and scare myself. :)

First of all, this project is made possible by an old bank account being closed and the bank sending the ballance to me. SWEET!

Second, this project is being started because I broke my frame! I have no idea how it broke, but it was last week while at home over crimmus when I discovered a crack completely through the frame after riding in the snow one day. The crack is in the middle of the vertical tube that runs from the left footpeg to the left side of the airbox intake tube. It is very weird, because it is a good 3 inches from anything like a weld of bend. I am going to weld it up, grind it, weld in about 12 or so gussets in the corners of the frame, and have it powdercoated in factory honda red. My dad sends machine frames to be powdercoated, and he is getting my whole frame bead blasted and coated for $100! This is a professional place too, and they do show quality work. I asked already, and they are not willing to do this for everyone that dad brings in, so if you were going to ask, don't bother. Just be happy for me.

Now, the real question...what to do with the tired original 350 engine? I will tell you what I want, and you tell me what to do. I would guess that my engine has only opperated at about 80-85% of the original power since I got it. This is because it runs hot, and also I can only run with a 400EX through 2nd, then they pull away. I don't think anything is wrong, just worn out.

I want a nice and noticeable increase in power. I want to be able to smoke a 400EX, and maybe run with a Raptor or beat it. So, what kind of engine mods would you suggest? Personnal experiences are very welcome. Right now I am thinking a mild bore and piston, with a midrange cam, new valves and springs, and maybe a bump up to a 370 or something kit and a larger carb.

Thanks all!

jeswinehart
01-05-2003, 07:52 PM
hi joel.
if you go to these people they should be able to help you out.
kinda salty,,,,,,,

http//www.powroll.com/honda_atc_350x.htm or
just punch in 350x on your address bar and hit enter,,,, scroll down till you see x info

see ya,,,, john

Joel85350X
01-05-2003, 08:01 PM
Salty indeed, but I like the sound of the 368cc kit. I just wonder what the outcome of a kit like this will be. Is it really worth the money? :?

Good to hear from you John. I've been away for a while, glad to be back. I hope to be up and riding the X in about 2 months.

Trikeaholic
01-05-2003, 08:05 PM
Im just waiting to grenade my 350X, then the motor is going to powroll for the 400cc kit, no if, ands or butz!

jeswinehart
01-05-2003, 08:17 PM
if you happen across another frame joel, howdy tipped me off that the later 85's had more gussits incorerated into thier frame (851/2 and later)
i just got my 350x motor back and it sure sounds sweet but unable to ride it yet cuz chain and sprocket are not here yet.
had the top end gone thru, basically new rings + valves cleaned up + innards adjusted correctly.
next trip to badlands you are welcome to check it out cuz i am sure i will never ride it to it's potential and being you have alot more seat time on a x then i,,, you would know if just a upper re-build would do it for your motor.
by the way, i have 225.00 (+a tip) into my rebuild upper.

john

ATCRYDER
01-05-2003, 08:55 PM
That big bore plus the regular 4 stroke mods ougtha have that 350 (or 370 or 400 or 410 lol) takin a 400EX like it was meant to.

The Raptor is a 660cc 5 valve Liquad Cooled Monster......Dont bother trying to get all competative! heh

Tecate performance
01-05-2003, 10:31 PM
curtis sparks used to build full race 350x's to 472cc with about 50 horse. Most engine builders can get more power out of a 350x than a 400ex

OldSchoolin86
01-05-2003, 11:48 PM
There's plenty of builders doing over 50hp on the 400ex. If you had a 350x pushing that much you'd be beating Raptors and everthing else stock out there. My suggestion would be to go with the 368 kit. You don't have to resleeve and with a clean job you'll be beating those ex's all day.

01-06-2003, 12:24 AM
who's buliding 400ex's with over 50 hp. the largest 400 i've seen is in dirt bike magazine. its a xr400 built to 492cc by Monster Motors with maybe close to 50 hp but not more than that

als250
01-06-2003, 01:46 AM
Hey Joel, glad to see you back, sorry to hear about you're frame! Going back to Badlands Fri. the 10th. (was hoping you'd be there)
I think you're first investment should be "FLOATATION TIRES" for our next ride in bogs! :-P (although I don't think it'll see much mud when it's done!)
Good luck with the rebuild,from my impression of you, I'm sure it'll be done right! Can't wait to see the results! How bout Spring "TRIKEFEST" AT Badlands.Hmmmm :?

Talk to you later,Al

Joel85350X
01-06-2003, 12:33 PM
John, I am sure I want to do more than just upper end. I, like trikeaholic want to do a full rebuild, but I also want to leave room for a rebuild in the future. I like the 368cc kit right now, but I also like the stroker 400cc kit. That would be a nice addition, but I don't know if the project should get that big yet or not. Choices choices! I am going to talk with the guy who is building my engine about what kind of pricing he can get from different manufacturers for different kits.

My frame is a early 85 frame. I have the resources to do all of the gusset work for free with a Purdue University 500amp MIG welder...it will be done correctly by none other than me. :) I have been taking pics, so hopefully the end result will be a nice collection of step by step with text. I am headed to a lab to do the gusset and weld work today, and maybe sandblast it some too.

I am also working on modeling the entire frame in AutoCAD and IronCAD software. With a complete model, there would be nothing stopping me from producing another frame someday, say in aluminum or titanium? :) I don't think I will be able to make it any time soon, but for right now I just want the dimensions and model since the frame is bare. I will post the drawings on my website sometime in the future.

Al, good to hear from you. You were right, this will not be a mud machine! Not going to be able to ride on the 10th, but you have fun! I don't see why I wouldn't come to a spring trikefest at the badlands. Personally, I would shoot for late April, or early May. Earlier than that and it is going to be very muddy. You still riding the SX?

Thanks all.

als250
01-08-2003, 03:26 AM
Joel, Yeah still got the SX,damn good trike. I posted a couple pics of last trip to Attica. http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=3257&start=0 chk. em out. Keep posting updates on you're project,gonna be "sweet"!! As for Badlands meet, we'll talk more later when 350X is closer to completion.

Good Luck, Al

P.S. If you notice in pics my tank decals are almost gone. I put them on my new "PLASTIC" tank about a week before I read your post on painting plastic gas tanks(very informative).They started coming off 1st ride!LOL Oh well, live & learn! (They were just cheap e-bay decals.)

Joel85350X
01-08-2003, 05:40 PM
Al, as I said in the post about the tank, use original decals! Your result will be hands down better.

Update:

Frame- Fixed the crack with a MIG welder. Grinding it down today. Also, have 6 gussets made and ready to weld in. Going to have a lot of them in it overall. Waiting on dad to return from FL trip to get the powdercoat done.

Engine- Talked to my engine guy yesterday, he suggested a +40 piston @12:1, mid performance cam, springs, keepers, guides, and valves installed for $577. (or $5 less for a 10.25:1 piston)

He would do the Powroll 368cc kit for $661 installed.

The Powroll kit is 367.9cc @10:1 and this setup would be 359.25cc @12:1. Thoughts, comments? Still pondering the stroker too, but I don't know. What would seem to be the better deal? And what compression?

Suspension- I am polishing the rear shock components now and I am going to have it cleaned and checked. The fronts are going to be rebuilt with better comonents. I was going to have Mr ATC do them, but since he's not around, I am not sure now.

Feel free to comments on any of the shenanigans mentioned.

01-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Do me a favor, If you weld on the frame of your 350x be sure to unplug all the wires so you don't burn out the regulator. I did it myself so that sucks. The thing is is that the freakin thing costs like $90 bucks. Thats $90 bucks nobody needs to spend on that stupid thing for doing something stupid like that.

jeswinehart
01-09-2003, 09:46 PM
i found out that the original 350x (85) decals are still available along with the rubber bumper things that go on the front skid plate.
decals thru my locale honda dealer in elkhart, ind. are 9.66 each and the bumper things are about 16 dollars for all of them.

very good point on the regulator Bob B. ya know what they call experianced don't you ? ( knowing what you done wrong b-4)
i wouldn't have thought of that,,, thank you !

john