PDA

View Full Version : need opinions on 84 250r rebuild

Mr.Mike
09-29-2004, 12:23 AM
Okay guys. I recently bought a 84 250r at a garage sale for 200 bucks. I knew it was a POS but I wanted a winter project so I bought it with title. So far I have replaced wheel bearings, plastics, stator, and rebuilt the carb with new parts. I am replacing all bolts with stainlesss as I go,kinda starting from front to back. Anyway ,with the help on this board I finally got her started. It runs so-so but has a serious bog when you open up the throttle. Knowing the carb and all igntion is new (coil,plug,stator) this leaves one thing...compression......... So i had it idleing and sure as sun there are pinhole leaks at the headgasket that I could see bubbling.........so......I am going to rebuild the top end. I will put new rings,pistons and reeds in but what I am looking for is your opinion on if I should bore it out a liitle. I know this 20 year old trike can handle so much, but if you could let me know what parts to get to make it dependable and fun I would sure appreciate it. I am going to keep and customize this bike so I want to keep it dependable as possible. THanks in advance. :)

TimSr
09-29-2004, 08:54 AM
Boring is not a performance modification, and is for the purpose of re-squaring a worn or scratched cylinder. When a cylinder has scratches, it may be obvious that it needs a bore job, but when its just worn, more often you cannot tell just by looking at it. They wear egg shaped. If you dont know how or have the means to measure one, its beat to just take it into your local shop and have them measure it, and tell you whether or not it needs bored.