PDA

View Full Version : trimotor handling

ny175trimotor
09-28-2004, 11:09 AM
Hi all hope you had a good summer season.....
just picked up a 83 trimotor 175, after a little carb work and some clean up it looks good except front end took a head on and is bent back slightly at the head of the frame. I see paint off at at the areas that bent on frame as far back as rear of gas tanks. Not sure if im going to try to straighten it as it is somewhat of a complex bend on both top and bottom rails of frame. It still rides fine but impossible handling on pavement. cannot turn at all without tires hopping, I wonder if this is a normal trait of this size trike when on pavement or it was worsened by a reduced rake in the forks. does anyone have any input?

Also local dealer says that aftermarket companies make extended rear axles in order to make them more strable in turns especially if kids are riding, as is in my case. does anyone know what companies might make these axles? I tried to search but had no luck.

thanks for reading

hondatrikesrule22
09-28-2004, 04:05 PM
Trikes don't normally do well turning on pavement. But my wheels don't hop.

I don't know about the axle, but try looking for wheel spacers and some offset wheels. That will give you alot of stabilty.And, will be cheaper than getting an axle.

Billy Golightly
09-28-2004, 04:15 PM
Not sure on the wheel hop, only when your turning or in straight lines as well? Sounds like you might have a bent axle magnified by the solid surface (pavement) making it even worse.

yt175
09-28-2004, 10:08 PM
durablue makes a 2.5 inch wheel spacer for them.
www.durablue.com

Dan Tenn
09-29-2004, 02:51 PM
Not sure if you know that its a Tri-moto, not motor. Durablue did at one time make extended axles for the YT175. I have a new, never used +6 inch durablue axle I got off ebay a couple years ago. I doubt if they still make them now.

edog
10-01-2004, 10:25 AM
Best way to pick up good handling is to put on the dura Blue Wheel spacers .I have them and they work awsome.

Mr. Sandman
10-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Thank you Dan Tenn for clarifying this before I did. Yes, it's Tri-Moto not Tri-motor! FYI, a Tri-motor was an old 3 engine airplane. It drives me up the wall when its said or spelled that way, for example, MOTORCROSS!! Glad to get that off my chest. :beer

ny175trimotor
10-08-2004, 12:36 PM
sorry i havent checked back sooner, been away Salmon fishing. nice to see these forums work to serve others that need information from a group of nice people.......Im sure i will use one of those ideas to help make it just a little more stable for the boys.
Dan if your interested in selling that axle let me know and ill contact you. next i will be viewing that durablue site for either the spacers or the offsets.
Btw: sorry mr sandman for upsetting you so much, thanks for the clarification. Please accept my apologies.

thanks to the rest!!!!

Mr. Sandman
10-08-2004, 07:09 PM
Not upset NY, I just like to see things in our sport referred to correctly, whether by users or the media. :)

Yamaha Tri-Moto
02-12-2005, 02:26 AM
ya man i got the same problem on pavment with my yt175 itll turn but u gotta make it wide if u wanna stay on it or ull flip it but i dont ride on pavement newayz. oh and to answer your question i think it is a popular problem with this model.

Rex Karz
02-12-2005, 06:26 AM
Why would you want to ride on pavement ?

trikezilla
02-12-2005, 05:17 PM
I dont like wheelspacers because i think they look dumb, plus they put added stress on your axle...which you dont wanna do if it is bent. maybe try some offset rims..they add a smaller amt. of stress, but look cool and do the same thing

350x'inNY
02-12-2005, 05:39 PM
I dont like wheelspacers because i think they look dumb, plus they put added stress on your axle...which you dont wanna do if it is bent. maybe try some offset rims..they add a smaller amt. of stress, but look cool and do the same thing

Hmmm.... I think a set of offset rims would have the same "extra stress" than wheel spacers. Either case, you are increasing the moment arm of the forces upon the axle. Oh... i certified to teach Physics and Math! :welcome:

Bruce