PDA

View Full Version : Any tricks to drilling mounting holes in Maier fenders.

ClayW
09-27-2004, 10:20 PM
I bought a new set of fenders for my 350X and they dont have the seat holes and mounting holes. Is there a trick to making them. I have thought about using my originals as a templet. What do you guys think.

deathman53
09-27-2004, 10:42 PM
I put my originals on top of the the maiers and used a sharpie and made the marks where to drill, it came out real close.

ScottZJ
09-27-2004, 10:43 PM
Put masking tape on the hole areas with it rolled into itself(in other words, where its a sticky loop on the outside). With a black marker, mark the hole or poke thru the masking tape. Then mount the plastic, fenders, shrouds, etc. and push on it hard in the mounting area. YOu should slowly pull it off and have the tape stuck on the back side of the plastic. Drill thru slowly with a small bit and make larger once you line the holes up.

jeswinehart
09-28-2004, 06:42 AM
i also used my old fenders for a guide by laying them over and making hole.
i didn't use any tape to cover the areas to be drilled but gotta admit it sounds like a very good idea.
i used a spade bit ,,, or what some call a butterfly bit. worked well for me.

what size of tank scoops you thinking on getting clay ???

john

ClayW
09-28-2004, 09:01 AM
I bought some of the super scoops. I cant waint to get it back together. I have almost all the parts I need to finish it up. Im just waiting on the footpegs, heatsheild, rear sprocket and chain to show up. They should be here by friday latest. Then I will have it all. :D

Clay