PDA

View Full Version : Ok....heres My Problem

crackshot
09-27-2004, 12:18 PM
I rebuilt carb on 110. smokes now and did not before.
I rebuilt it because it did not idle. engine seems to have loads of compression. (did not test yet)
had lots of power before i rebuilt carb and now its a dog.
help!!!!
Thanks!

surf-n-sand
09-27-2004, 12:24 PM
did you upgrade any parts or is it just a re-build of the original?

did you adjust the idle and mixture (air/fuel)?

crackshot
09-27-2004, 12:55 PM
i just rebuilt carb that is all. no upgraded parts. generic carb kit. shindy kit i think it was.
i adjusted air mix and did not make difference. idle screw is all the way in and i even maxed out cable adjuster.
still won't idle and smokes. not a lot of power.

surf-n-sand
09-27-2004, 01:03 PM
check your actual lines.

i went through my whole carb inside and out..........then put it back together and put it on.........worked even worse! i was like WTF! ....anyways ......my problem wasn't the carb, it was the little valves that come out of the gas tank, they were clogged from rust inside the tank, cleaned out the tank and braappp brapp....that did the trick. ;)

crackshot
09-27-2004, 01:44 PM
the tank does have a lot of rust in it. there are valves in there?
i did wash the tank out with gas and think i got most out.
i do have clear inline filters on and are full of gas.

surf-n-sand
09-27-2004, 01:54 PM
the tank does have a lot of rust in it. there are valves in there?
i did wash the tank out with gas and think i got most out.
i do have clear inline filters on and are full of gas.

i'm sorry not valves in the gas tank, they are just hook ups for the lines, but rust can get stuck in them and restrict fuel flow. :beer

83200e
09-27-2004, 02:20 PM
What methods did you use to clean it?

surf-n-sand
09-27-2004, 02:36 PM
what did i use to clean out the tank?

all i did was blow out the holes with compressed air and then filled it up with water until i got all the rust out. i think i'm gonna put acid in the tank though and then eat all the rust out.

crackshot
09-27-2004, 02:40 PM
i will try and clean our lines but like i said, i have clear filters on there and are full of fuel. i am thinking the jetting is wrong on main jet.

rob0781
09-27-2004, 02:41 PM
what did i use to clean out the tank?

all i did was blow out the holes with compressed air and then filled it up with water until i got all the rust out. i think i'm gonna put acid in the tank though and then eat all the rust out.
you put water in your gas tank to remove rust?????your totally defeating the purpose water is gonna make it rust more and it gonna wreck your engine..

83200e
09-27-2004, 02:42 PM
No,I was asking crackshot how he cleaned his carb.Sounds like he needs to clean it again.

rob0781
09-27-2004, 02:44 PM
no but surf-n-sand said he washed his tank out with water

surf-n-sand
09-27-2004, 03:00 PM
i'm going to use muratic acid today to eat all the rust. i was just trying to get the main portion of rust out, that i could hear loose.

rob0781
09-27-2004, 03:03 PM
i woulda still used gas it woulda been better for the tank.

surf-n-sand
09-27-2004, 03:17 PM
i woulda still used gas it woulda been better for the tank.
my bad. i'll keep that in mind for next time. thanks. :)

rob0781
09-27-2004, 03:24 PM
the acid should dry out the water but you just don't want the mositure in there,it'll just cause more work for you,also a method i always use to keep my tanks from rusting in any trike i've ever owned usually after i come in from riding and i'm putting the trike away for the night or week etc i usually top up the tank so it's full,i've never had any problems in doing this,tanks never rust either..

crackshot
09-27-2004, 04:10 PM
No,I was asking crackshot how he cleaned his carb.Sounds like he needs to clean it again.
I am willing to give that a try.
I soaked it in paint thinner overnight then used a can of carb cleaner to blow out holes.

83200e
09-27-2004, 04:33 PM
I am willing to give that a try.
I soaked it in paint thinner overnight then used a can of carb cleaner to blow out holes.
I've never tried paint thinner so I can't knock it,but I would spend the $15.00 and buy the carb cleaner in the dip can.It will penetrate all the spots you can't get to.If you've got access to compressed air use it to blow out all the holes.

crackshot
10-03-2004, 12:59 PM
ok. rebuilt carb again. used compressed air. ALL passages are clear. still have same problem.
got smoke, loss of power. I think the top end is about ready for rebuild.
can i get away with new piston, rings and have the head gone through without a bore if cylinder is in good shape?

trikerider2oo7
10-03-2004, 01:17 PM
you may be able to but i would do a bore just to be sure. you can get it done at napa for only like 30 bucks

resto250r
10-03-2004, 01:29 PM
the acid should dry out the water but you just don't want the mositure in there,it'll just cause more work for you,also a method i always use to keep my tanks from rusting in any trike i've ever owned usually after i come in from riding and i'm putting the trike away for the night or week etc i usually top up the tank so it's full,i've never had any problems in doing this,tanks never rust either..

Thats a great idea I'm gonna go top mine off now, when I first got my 250r it had rust in the tank so when I had it apart I sent it to the radiator shop and had it dipped. Only prob with this is it kills the paint too but no rust. So I took the dents out and repainted it while I was at it.

timex69
10-03-2004, 08:32 PM
take your carb to the dealership n get them to clean it. They have this acidic stuff you dip yer carb in and it cleans everything real well. Compressed air will blow anything loose out but if its stuck on it wont budge.

Alex

kilabeez0
10-03-2004, 09:36 PM
when u guys cleaned your tanks with acid, what did you block the hole with when u took the petcock off?

MTS
10-03-2004, 09:49 PM
dude befor you do a top end rebuild it just sounds like your new main you put in is way to big look at the number on the old one then look on the number of the new one u put in if they are diffrent get the same size one from the dealership i find that the rebuild kits dont always give the right jets some times..also if its not idleing once you get it running again do a plug check by drivin up to 3rd gear under power and then kill it take the plug out and see what it looks like...post what it looks like hear and then we can help you get it tunned properly :D

bigredhead
10-04-2004, 12:06 AM
I used methyl hydrate and a handfull of washers.

crackshot
10-04-2004, 10:24 AM
dude befor you do a top end rebuild it just sounds like your new main you put in is way to big look at the number on the old one then look on the number of the new one u put in if they are diffrent get the same size one from the dealership i find that the rebuild kits dont always give the right jets some times..also if its not idleing once you get it running again do a plug check by drivin up to 3rd gear under power and then kill it take the plug out and see what it looks like...post what it looks like hear and then we can help you get it tunned properly :D

Thanks a lot. I will try that. I lost the original jet in the grass!
Anyone know what size stock jet is?

bigred110
10-05-2004, 11:56 AM
Thanks a lot. I will try that. I lost the original jet in the grass!
Anyone know what size stock jet is?

It depends on the year 79-82 had a 85 main 83-85 had 82 main.
The reason why for the 82 main on the 83-85 was because honda put a snorkel on it that runs to the front of the bike.
Did you put your air cleaner box completely back together? Are the intake boot and manifold sealed correctly?

I recommend the 79-82 carb jet on the 83-85. I've got a 79 carb kit in my 84 and made it run stronger.

bonkers_200s
10-05-2004, 12:51 PM
a decent solvent based degreaser, and a hand full of quarter size rocks, shake the hell out of the tank, the rocks will act as sand paper and remove rust that would eventually fall off anyway, dump everything out, then more degeaser too make sure you got everything out, and since its solvent based, it wont hurt if there is a bit left in the tank.

Dont forget to blow out the petcock valve, and you may want to splice your fuel line, go the local hardware or parts store, and get a cheap in line filter for a lawn mower (about $1.50 at most) if that doesnt work you could always give it to me:P

could also go to any auto parts store, and buy carburetor dip, it comes in a paint can, couldnt hurt anything.

crackshot
10-05-2004, 03:10 PM
It depends on the year 79-82 had a 85 main 83-85 had 82 main.
The reason why for the 82 main on the 83-85 was because honda put a snorkel on it that runs to the front of the bike.
Did you put your air cleaner box completely back together? Are the intake boot and manifold sealed correctly?

I recommend the 79-82 carb jet on the 83-85. I've got a 79 carb kit in my 84 and made it run stronger.

When I put the air box on it ran worse and would die and have NO POWER real bad.
Ran better with no air box to test and air cleaner is clean.

bigred110
10-05-2004, 04:06 PM
When I put the air box on it ran worse and would die and have NO POWER real bad.
Ran better with no air box to test and air cleaner is clean.

What year is your 110?

My 84 runs like crap with the air box cover off!

crackshot
10-06-2004, 10:22 AM
my 110 is 1980 year

bonkers_200s
10-06-2004, 10:45 AM
ooooo almost 25 years, it'll be officially antique

if its runs like trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro with the box cover off, you can adjust the mixture, its getting too much air that way, you wouldnt want to run it that way, but for some reason the top to the air box is the first thing to end up missing, when i bought my 200s it didnt have one, and my friends fathers big red same thing, little plexi glass, rotozip, and a package of make-a-gasket, and we're the only trikes with see through air boxes ive ever seen, lol

MTS
10-06-2004, 05:04 PM
check your main as i mentiond..also in the carb kit they normally give you 2 mains..check the numbers and swap em out...the smaller the number the leaner it go'ss the bigger the richer it go's :)

bigred110
10-06-2004, 06:18 PM
On Denniskirk.com theirs two carb rebuild kits you can get. I've got the moose kit in my 84 and it came with everything I needed, including the stock main jet size.

Moose (http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=171332&store=Main&productId=p171332&catId=&leafCatId=)

K&L (http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=170602&store=Main&productId=p170602&catId=&leafCatId=)

Have you found out what jet size you have now in the carb?

crackshot
10-07-2004, 02:36 PM
On Denniskirk.com theirs two carb rebuild kits you can get. I've got the moose kit in my 84 and it came with everything I needed, including the stock main jet size.

Moose (http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=171332&store=Main&productId=p171332&catId=&leafCatId=)

K&L (http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=170602&store=Main&productId=p170602&catId=&leafCatId=)

Have you found out what jet size you have now in the carb?

I have not torn it down AGAIN yet! :) I will try here real soon. been busy winterizing house for snow!

Thanks for the links. the one kit has the pilot jet and that cheap ass shindy kit did not. I stil am curious to see what jet size it is and will post size.

crackshot
10-14-2004, 07:43 PM
Ok. I pulled carb off and happy to say it is fixed, idling, not smoking at all and running great! I am a happy camper now. Rode it on a 2 hour test ride.
All I need is some tires and my kids will be blasting away on the farm.
The problem was the pilot jet. I took the threaded one I had in the kit, yanked out the press fit one, stuck the new one in and gave a couple cranks with screwdirver and amazingly tightend up. It must be a retro fit type or something.
Anyway, I want to thank all that have been helping me resolve this problem and all the link provided for parts!
Thanks again....this board ROCKS! :)

kilabeez0
10-14-2004, 09:35 PM
press fit one??? where the hell did u find that? well good to see u used the correct part and got it running.

crackshot
10-14-2004, 09:48 PM
It is the strangest pilot jet i have seen. It must be original. all i had to do was grab it with pliers and yank it out. Has no threads and no slot for screwdriver!
Yeah, I am glad its running hard now too. Had me worried for a while.

kilabeez0
10-15-2004, 09:47 AM
but the carb has threads for the correct one to be screwed in?

crackshot
10-15-2004, 10:03 AM
did not see threads but the hole is necked down inside the carb body and screwed right in. did not strip, create shavings or nothing.
all I know it runs great now. If it works, dont fix it! :cool: