PDA

View Full Version : Trike will not idle

dc
01-05-2003, 12:26 PM
I have a stock 185s. I recently got it running again and it ran great. But now it is having trouble. When the engine gets warmed up it will not idle. if I let it idle when it is warm it will die just like I if I had switched it off. Just like it isn't getting spark. In any rpm higher than idle it runs normal. I'm thinking it might be a problem with the ignition stator because before I got the trike it was stored in a damp shed for many years. I don't think it is a problem with the carburetor. What do you think? How can I check the stator?

01-05-2003, 01:52 PM
I think it is a carb problem you should clean it. A damp shed shouldn't hurt any electrical components. The only way it would hurt it is by all the connectors getting rusted and causing a bad connection, but it wouldn't run at all if that was the case. You have to use a multimeter to check the coninuity of your stator, but I have never heard of one only producing electricity at upper rpm's. If that was the case it should never start.

Tri-Z dude
01-05-2003, 04:12 PM
i have a regulat 200 honda and it was doin the same thing
i screwed in the idler screw on the carb and fixed my problem'
ben

KLT Man
01-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Carb, definitely sounds like no flow through your pilot jet. I would first adjust it to the factory setting. If this doesn't work, remove carb and disassemble. Remove the pilot jet, and see if you can see light through it.

If it is clear, then remove the idle screw and make sure that the pilot venturi is clear. Reassemble and try again.