PDA

View Full Version : need 84 200es piston and rings

daveds50
09-25-2004, 02:37 AM
hi there, new guy here.
i have a 1984 200 es big red, that has been sitting in my garage for the past couple of years with a seized piston... we were riding then, me on a motocross bike, and my wife on the 200. it was a very hot day, and i believe it got too hot and stuck.
anyway, just the other day i got around to taking a look. dont have it completly apart yet, but i do know that the piston is stuck in the cylinder. ( cyl moves with crank )
just wondering... where does everyone get their parts online ? i buy just about all my engine parts for my 69 Z50, and my CR powered shifter karts and motocross bikes from websites that are substantually cheaper than the parts counter at the local Honda dealer. is there any websites that deal with ATC parts ? namely, a piston and ring set...
i just dont want to put much money into this thing. i have too many projects as it is. anyone got a used one laying around ?
thanks,
dave

Howdy
09-25-2004, 04:59 AM
First off, If the piston stuck / ceased to the cylinder then you will probably need the cylinder bored out also.
As far as piston kits: Why put in a used piston when you can buy new piston kits ( Piston & rings ) from around $60 ( plus shipping )? I know there are pistons listed on ebay all the time. I just can't get ebay to load for me tonight ( pos computer ).
NOTE: Be sure before buying any piston you know what size you need. This way you get the correct piston kit.
Howdy

jeswinehart
09-25-2004, 06:38 AM
in a day or 2 i'll be able to give you the price i'm gonna pay for a new piston
( oversized a little bit ) + rings + bore job. oh yeah ,,, plus the top end gasket set.

i'd picked up a beat to heck and back 84 200es for cheap awhile back
( much to somebodys persistance - lol ) and have decided to make it a runner for a ice fishing buddy of mine.
i was hoping to get by with just a set of rings but heck no ,,, .005 over on the bore and .005 under on the piston.
my motor guy should be calling anyday now to pick up my re-done jug.

john

olive123
09-25-2004, 07:39 AM
ive got one and a cylinder in good shape 25 plus delivery

daveds50
09-25-2004, 07:04 PM
thanks Olive ! however...
after pulling the engine out, and pulling the top end, this is what i found.
http://members.cox.net/daveds50/car/atc200es.jpg

the piston was not siezed in the cylinder, and the cylinder is still in perfect shape. the valve that is embedded into the top of the piston was stopping engine rotation, giving me the false impression that it was seized. checked the con rod and bottom end, and luckily had no damage there. as far as i can measure, it's got a 64.98 mm bore.
i do realize that i should get new stuff to fix it, but if you saw all the motorized projects and racing vehicles i have, you may understand why i dont want to spend money on this 200 es...
so... anyone have these parts laying around ? Olive, do you also have a head ?
if i cant fix this on the cheap, someone want to buy it ? or parts ? everything else on the bike works fine.
dave

jeswinehart
09-25-2004, 07:26 PM
that is the most ugly thing i've seen today ,,, yuk !

john

daveds50
09-26-2004, 03:29 AM
yup... when my wife does anything, she does not goof around... :)
anyway, is 64.98 mm a standard bore ? Olive123, i may just take that offer if i can come up with a head...
question: i know that a lot of the Honda parts are interchangable between the years and models... for example, on my race kart, it has a 97 CR125 transmission with a 99 cylinder. the Honda cars are that way too.
does anyone know if i can use a 200x, 200s, etc head on my 200es ?
dave

LaDano
09-27-2004, 02:48 AM
Nearly all of the 200 top-end stuff will interchange no problem. If you do part it out, I'm looking for a good functioning set of forks and front rack. Good luck, parts are easy to come by.

thefox
09-27-2004, 09:27 AM
The heads are the same for the all 200 and 185 honda trikes except for the '86-'87 200x. The '83-'85 200x has a different cam but it still works, or you can use your old cam in its head.

daveds50
09-28-2004, 03:09 AM
excellent ! thanks guys.
LaDano, you are not the only one who wants my forks... :)
on my quest for cheap parts, i found a head on eBay ( by a seller whos name shows up on this forums member list ) if i win it, guess everyone will have to look for parts elsewhere... sorry guys.
and Olive123, i'll take the cyl and piston as soon as i know i have a head coming.
i really do need to fix this thing. my wife stayed home this weekend while i went riding bikes with friends. she is not good in the dirt, or on bikes, and tends to be overly cautious unless it's smooth open long dirt roads. then she likes fast.
but the places we normally go, she just putts the 200es around by the truck, and is completly happy, even if we are gone for hours. so... manditory that i fix this.
on the other hand, she does real well racing the shifter karts and race cars... no problem going well over 100mph, and she drives quite well... go figure.
anyway, thanks guys.
dave