PDA

View Full Version : 1985 ATC 250R seat, tank transition gap

Chris McDaniel
09-24-2004, 09:25 AM
Wazzup guys, I am very particular about the way things are on my bikes. Every trike I've seen out there has this hideous gap between the seat and tank, almost like someone pulled up on the front of the seat. Yes, it is hooked in on the front posts, and yes all the bushings are there, as well as all the rubber pads. This must be a syndrome that all ATCs, at least all Hondas have. Anybody know what needs to be done to make it go away?

clong
09-24-2004, 11:48 AM
I am also curious as my 200X seat shoots to the sky. Anyone have any ideas.

Derrick Adams
09-24-2004, 02:33 PM
Boy, I think I can help with the cause, but not the cure. I noticed that on my 200x the seat gap was pretty good until I installed a new seat cover. The cover actually pulled on the base so much that it lifted it up. I was then thinking about it and figured that seat pan is 20 years old and probably just not strong enough to hold shape anymore.
I planned on fabbing a metal brace along the bottom of the seat base to hold it down in position but ended up selling it first. That would be my suggestion, though. Also, if your rubber seat mounts get worn down in the back, that may cause it to lift the front when you clamp it on.

clong
09-24-2004, 02:45 PM
Good points. I think its the seat pan slowly changing shape from people sitting in it for 20 years. The only option is a bracket.

Dammit!
09-24-2004, 03:02 PM
That's not it. 200x's did that when they were brand new after only a couple of months of riding. I was never sure what caused it.

VABCH350X
09-24-2004, 05:56 PM
I read a post on here a long time ago about someone having success in re-aligning his seat pan by removing the seat cover and foam, then carefully heating and reshaping the plastic seat pan. How permanent a fix this would be I do not know, but it sounds like it may be worth a try if you've nothing to lose.

clong
09-24-2004, 06:04 PM
I don't think I could stomick taking off a OEM seat cover, plus I think the seat cover would disintegrate.

OldSchoolin86
09-24-2004, 06:58 PM
That's not it. 200x's did that when they were brand new after only a couple of months of riding. I was never sure what caused it.

Sure it is. No matter if it happened in a day or 10 years the seat pan has to move in order for the seat to come up.

vartiak15
09-24-2004, 07:01 PM
well mine has always looked good. i think it is because of the new fenders im not sure i dont remember what it looked like before the diff fenders. here is a pic from a while back it is being restored right now.

clong
09-25-2004, 03:45 PM
Someone should make a tension bracket and sell them on ebay and they would make a killing

Fox250R
09-25-2004, 04:37 PM
Yeah i have a fairly large tank gap myself...Never really thought about fixing it..

Lots_Of_Nothing
09-25-2004, 06:11 PM
on 250r's (not sure about anything else) the seat latch gets bent real easily and it makes the whole seat/fender assembly move up in the front, this is also what causes that "slop" (wobble) in the seat/fender assembly, take the latch off and lay the flat side on a surface you know is flat and check to see if bent, often the sides will bend up and the middle is the only part that doesnt bent (on the latch)... i'm talking about the part of that latch that is bolted to the seat.

also, even though you have all the grommets, are you sure there not worn away at all? i know most of em i see have some wear and tear on them, i highly doubt its the seat pan, i'd check for bent brackets. (mine had a bent bracket, i got a new one and there was no gap at all)