PDA

View Full Version : plastic tanks any good?

kilabeez0
09-23-2004, 10:31 PM
so i'm dropping some cash trying to finish this 200x project. i spray painted the frame and other parts, didn't powdercoat like i wanted ($$$) good money rebuilding the engine with BRAND NEW cam, and .020 honda piston, and new plastics, seat cover, sprockets and chain, cables. anyway i stripped the paint off my tank and had it sandblasted. I think someone bondoed it with JB Weld tho, and I'm wondering if I should just buy a white plastic tank or try and find a metal one. I always see the plastic ones on ebay but i'm wondering if their worth it? Also I would like a new clutch lever and brake lever, should i buy aftermarket or stock? Thanks

BigGreenMachine
09-23-2004, 10:47 PM
You'd be saving weight on the plastic tank and they do look good as long as you can still mount the air scoops.

jmsmilin
09-23-2004, 11:31 PM
PM me I have a white plastic one for a 200x, just dirty.

smokinp
09-24-2004, 12:14 AM
does anyone have a good pic of a 200x with a plastic tank?

Curtis-Tecate3
09-24-2004, 07:47 AM
If you are going plastic spend the extra money on the IMS. The Clark tank doesnt use the air scoops and the mounting method is not as good. Take a look at mine on readers rigs on page 9.
http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/readersrigs/200xSide.jpg

Curtis.

ClayW
09-24-2004, 10:15 AM
I have herd bad things about a plastic tank. John had a new one on his SX and it split open after the first jump he made. Belched gas all over the HOT motor. He was lucky it didnt burn to the ground. I have a metal tank on my Big Red its been repaired in 3 spots. I used JB weld for multiple reasons. Its gas resistant, can be sanded smooth, and doesnt cause problems. I painted over mine with PPG basecoat & clearcoat. Its not even noticable. Looks like a brand new tank. Especially with the new 87 decals on it. Fix what you have, you wont regret it. Thats my opinion. Oh yeah, and white plastic tanks turn yellow after a while. I know. My 350X has a white Clark tank thats now yellow. Thats why I just bought a metal tank to re-do off EBAY. And best of all the wing stickers will STICK to the tank, and not peel off due to the gas fumes leaching thru.

Clay

trikerider2oo7
09-24-2004, 01:17 PM
i have heard both good and bad things about plastic tanks and i was kind of thinking about gettin one but i aint sure either.

and about the brake lever and cable you should go aftermarket...they are usually cheaper and just as good.

clong
09-24-2004, 01:52 PM
I think your best bet is stick with the metal. The plastics are cool but the discoloration of the white plastic and the fact you can't put some nice wings on it well be hard on the eyes. If your tank is too far gone with rust I would find one on ebay. Even if the one you buy on ebay has a little rust in it, you can get this stuff called osfo and swish that around in there, then rinse it out with acetone and you will eat all the rust out.

Curtis-Tecate3
09-24-2004, 02:21 PM
I don't know whose plastic tanks you guys are using but I had an IMS on my 200X for nearly 10 years and it did not discolor. I must agree that if you can find a metal one that you shuld stick with it.

Regarding the "Wings" as someone mentioned above. The IMS tank like mine in the photo have mounts for the factory scoops. The Clarke tank does not.

Curtis.

jenndnn3
09-24-2004, 02:27 PM
85 200x with plastic tank! :)

clong
09-24-2004, 02:42 PM
IMS tank looks good but the seat doesn't really match up. I have that same problem with my factory metal tank and seat. Why do they shoot up to the sky?

TimSr
09-24-2004, 04:12 PM
If being functional is your priority, plastic tanks are much more stronger and durable, are lighter, and take a lot more abuse than steel ones.

If cosmetics are are very important to you, no one can argue against the steel painted ones looking a lot nicer.

patblkwell
09-24-2004, 04:15 PM
Does anyone know if all metal tanks-new or old-will eventually rust. Or is it possible to take care of them so this never happens??

hondatrikesrule22
09-24-2004, 04:26 PM
If the paint is sealed properly, it will last a long time and not rust. Keep the fuel tank fuel at all times, so the inside doesn't rust. The secret is using primer sealer. It seals the metal so it won't rust.

clong
09-24-2004, 05:42 PM
Just becasue its metal doesn't mean it will rust. My 1986 350X doesn't have one bot of rust in it and it even sat for a large majority of its life. I think it has allot to do with the climate. A more mild climate away from the ocean will be much easier on a tank. If your tank has some light rust you can acid wash it out and then keep the tank full when not in use and your tank will last forever.

ClayW
09-24-2004, 06:50 PM
Yeah I just washed my tank out with muratic acid, then washed it with baking soda to neutralize it. Etched it to a nice dull gray finish and ate all the rust. I got it stripped down and ready for primeing and fixing the dings. I will paint it tommorow. Should I post some pics of the process for everyone? Let me know and I will se what I can do.

ClayW

kilabeez0
09-24-2004, 08:28 PM
please post pics. i'm doing the same to mine. i just bondoed a couple small dents and TRIED my best to sand down the horrible JB Weld bondo job the previous owner had done in the lower corners. I can see why they did it though, after I had it sand blasted i can see damp spots where gas is seeping through, not enough to really be a problem now, but a problem none the less. I'm not going to go crazy repairing this one because I think it might be pretty far gone in some spots, but it'll do for awhile.