PDA

View Full Version : 85 250R FMF Fatty exhuast system

Chris McDaniel
09-23-2004, 04:47 PM
I was wondering if any fellow trikers out there have this set up? if so what jet changes were made, needle clip position and air screw setting, to make this pipe work to its fullest potential. anyone, anyone? This may be a true diehard triker question, so only reply if you know for sure.

clong
09-23-2004, 05:12 PM
Main jet 145
Pilot Jet 42
Needle @ stock
Air screw 1.5 out

OldSchoolin86
09-23-2004, 05:47 PM
Hey chris, I answered this for you 3 hours ago.

Dammit!
09-23-2004, 09:43 PM
Main jet 145
Pilot Jet 42
Needle @ stock
Air screw 1.5 out

Aren't those all stock?

OldSchoolin86
09-23-2004, 10:42 PM
That's what FMF recomends for that pipe setup.

Red Rider
09-24-2004, 05:57 PM
The correct answer would have entailed asking you a few questions, such as:

1. At what elevation do you frequently ride?
2. What's the temperature where you ride?

Any significant change in the temperature or altitude will necessitate a change in the main jet, needle position, and/or airscrew settings.

OldSchoolin86
09-24-2004, 06:54 PM
If you ask me we need to make a sticky thread about jetting. Your kinda right Red Rider but I get tired of going through the hole routine all the time. Honestly everyone that does mods needs to learn how to do jetting. Even if you knew your elevation and temp, you'd still have to know the basics to make sure everything is right. Those type of questions will just give you a base line to work with just the same as the specs already given from FMF.

ScottZJ
09-24-2004, 10:21 PM
You are correct in saying the temp and elevation plays a key role. You also have to take under consideration that no one trike is the same off the show room. There are some that come out with more Hp than others so sometimes the "stock" numbers dont work for some. I am running a Paul Turner head pipe with an LRD silencer and still running stock jets. Now that its starting to cool off it seems to be running much better with stock carb settings. I am going to play with it to see if I can tweek it more but its all about location and your trike. Just buy a few jets from honda(3$ each) and see what best works for you............peace

Red Rider
09-24-2004, 11:01 PM
Oldschoolin & Scott, I totally agree with both of you. The unknowing person asks a simple question, which in this case does not have a simple answer, and someone gives them a cut & dried answer. I only wish, jetting a bike properly, was as simple as some people on this forum make it seem.

Dammit!
09-24-2004, 11:07 PM
So is there a problem with making a sticky? I'm sure some simple and concise guidelines would be helpful to a lot of people.

I've been fortunate in that I've never had to do it in more than twenty years of riding. I've always had a nice, tan colored plug by only adjusting the mix screw. That's about to change though. My R is most definitely running too rich out here.