PDA

View Full Version : sandblasting and priming....will it stop the rust?

kilabeez0
09-21-2004, 07:29 PM
So I painted my 200x tank with aircraft stripper like 3 times to remove all the paint. man that stuff works great but burns like hell if u get it on u :twisted:. anyway the underside of the tank is all rusty, i plan on having it sandblasted by a friend. my question is, if i have it sandblasted and i prime it real good, will it continue to rust? i'm pretty sure that removal is the only way of stopping rust, because there IS no stopping rust, but how well do u think this will work?

vartiak15
09-21-2004, 07:45 PM
it should stop it if u get all the rust off. but where do i get this aircraft stripper? i just took the stickers off my tank today and didnt no if i wanted to sandblast it. o and if trailprotrailpro buddy blastes it make sure it is sealed and u dont get the lil sand in the tank! so how does this aircraft stripper work and where can i get it?

kilabeez0
09-21-2004, 10:37 PM
i got it at autozone for $8. in the paint section they had some different strippers, this was the most expensive and had the most convincing name. it comes in a can and is like gravy. i need to paint my tank and started to sand it by hand for like 15 minutes and then realized there has to be an easier way. and sand blasting a tank covered in paint is more difficult than if it has no paint. it's a favor and i'm not going to be a pain in someone's ass if i can avoid it :). anyway there is like NO paint left, i could just sand the rest by hand in like a half hour if i wanted to, but the rust is pretty bad underneath and should really be blasted.

smokinp
09-21-2004, 10:43 PM
I bought some aircraft stipper for my 200x frame from wal mart for like $4 and it worked wonders,oven cleaner is good too.

kilabeez0
09-22-2004, 09:30 PM
figured i'd get more replies than this.

dirtface
09-22-2004, 09:36 PM
I've bought air craft stripper at Walmart too, works great. If anybody in your area glass bead blasts, I prefer it over sand. Less abrasive and doesn't tear at the metal as much, but does as well of a job as the sand.

Billy Golightly
09-22-2004, 10:07 PM
Primer is not a surface sealant. You will still get rust if you only prime. You might slow it some but thats it. Atleast from all of my experiences.

hondatrikesrule22
09-22-2004, 10:23 PM
Primer is not a surface sealant. You will still get rust if you only prime. You might slow it some but thats it. Atleast from all of my experiences.

Yep, he is right. What you are looking for is primer sealer. It seals the metal so it won't rust.

BigGreenMachine
09-22-2004, 11:45 PM
Try using that stripper on the rust and see how much rust it removes. If it takes paint off like you say then I would think it would have a dramatic effect on rust as well.

If it were me I'd just wire wheel the bottom.

Tri-Z Pilot
09-23-2004, 02:52 AM
I used to work for a powdercoating biz, they should have a glass blasting booth, I'd call a powdercoating place if you have one nearby.

johnny's X
09-25-2007, 09:16 AM
I think blasting is the only way to go. Takes about 30 minutes and no elbow greese. If you want to stop the rust this is the only way to do it. Blast it and then you will need a self etching primer. This is the only primer that will prevent rust from coming through your paint and primer. If you do this you will not have rust on your frame.

Mr. Clean
09-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Bare metal must be sealed with a correct base primer. Self-etching will work, epoxy primer will also work and in my opinion is the better option.

pickleweasel_00
09-25-2007, 10:16 AM
you can also use rust converter. I got some from the auto paint store called "rust-mort" (the rust mortician ;)) It converts the rust into a hard black or grey finish and seals it at the same time. Very good stuff, just don't get any on your concrete floor, because it will eat it up

chris200x
09-25-2007, 10:18 AM
you can also use rust converter. I got some from the auto paint store called "rust-mort" (the rust mortician ;)) It converts the rust into a hard black or grey finish and seals it at the same time. Very good stuff, just don't get any on your concrete floor, because it will eat it up

Yup, there's stuff called naval jelly that does the same thing.

Bad Karma
09-25-2007, 10:59 AM
I used that Tal-Strip aircraft stripper from the auto parts store to strip the paint off my CR500 cases. Works great!

I also used it to remove the spray paint somebody used on the tank, side panels and rad shrouds. Doesn't hurt the plastic at all, the paint bubbles off immediately. Good stuff!!!

rally4x4racer
09-25-2007, 04:24 PM
phosphoric acid is the active ingredient in anti-rust products. If you use straight or water dilute phosphoric acid it works great on rust. (Ice machine cleaners are typically high in content)

I always use etch primer - why do you prefer epoxy primer chevy? I just use the etcher cause it works well and you can get it for $5 per rattle can.

Mr. Clean
09-26-2007, 10:36 AM
rally4x4 racer I do not use rattle cans for my painting so I cannot comment on their quality etc.... and here are my reasons for using epoxy and not etch......

Etch primer is soluble and it will soak up anything that touches it, you cant get filler on etch, it soaks up the solvent and kills the adhesion, not a problem with frames and such but with bodywork on cars. Epoxy primer is the only one that is not porous. Epoxy is air tight and water proof. Epoxy primer has the best corrosion resistance as etch soaks, epoxy primer seals. Epoxy can be used in every phase of the paint process and etch cannot. Epoxy can be blocked sanded and you are still 100% sealed which cannot be done with etch, and finally it has been recommended to me not to go over blasted metal with ETCH, blasted metal is acceptable with epoxy.

SYKO
09-26-2007, 10:51 AM
MAY I add to this Mike? I forgot our new freind WATER BASED PRIMERS these are just as strong as an epoxy primer, harder to spray as they are very wet! they are in fact water soluable, but easier to sand then epoxy and have wicked adheasion to almost any surface plus once its dry its like epoxy its almost impervious to anything! I dont use etching primer for much anymore except spray can etching primer for small spots before painting.

Mr. Clean
09-26-2007, 11:59 AM
MAY I add to this Mike? I forgot our new freind WATER BASED PRIMERS these are just as strong as an epoxy primer, harder to spray as they are very wet! they are in fact water soluable, but easier to sand then epoxy and have wicked adheasion to almost any surface plus once its dry its like epoxy its almost impervious to anything! I dont use etching primer for much anymore except spray can etching primer for small spots before painting.

Absotively, I have yet to use water based primers, sounds like a great product.

rally4x4racer
09-26-2007, 12:39 PM
i have never had a problem using filler on etcher and I have used it throughout multiple layers of primer/sanding etc (when I sand thru to metal in places)

It may be unconventional, but I use rattle can primer when painting tanks and smaller things. It is easier and it provides good results. As long as the finish is professional and durable I am happy.

maybe it just works well for me because I am using the rattle can?

Mr. Clean
09-26-2007, 01:39 PM
i have never had a problem using filler on etcher and I have used it throughout multiple layers of primer/sanding etc (when I sand thru to metal in places)

It may be unconventional, but I use rattle can primer when painting tanks and smaller things. It is easier and it provides good results. As long as the finish is professional and durable I am happy.

maybe it just works well for me because I am using the rattle can?

Thats cool, whatever works for you. There is certainly more than one way to do this and more than one product that will work.

To answer the original question "sandblasting and priming....will it stop the rust? Yes but only temporarily if the correct base primer is not sealed with paint......

rally4x4racer
09-27-2007, 05:06 AM
I disagree there, chevy

- its all temporary. Some of it is just more temporary than other

Mr. Clean
09-27-2007, 08:17 AM
I disagree there, chevy

- its all temporary. Some of it is just more temporary than other

I am glad you disagree.

Please re-read my statement. "Yes but only TEMPORARY if the correct base primer is not sealed wth paint. :rolleyes:

rally4x4racer
09-28-2007, 03:22 AM
I have never seen a permanant paint job.

I have seen some of them last quite a while.. but the sun and rain wear em' down eventually

I was being kind of sarcastic, I guess.

I am spraying the truck soon, will probably check out the epoxy or water primer. I have not used either before.