PDA

View Full Version : 83/84 R seat pan on a 81/82 R

350x'inNY
09-20-2004, 05:18 PM
Well, I bought a Desert Safety Seat from Hi-Flite for my 82R. Been stalking eBay and here trying to find another 81/82 seat pan with no luck.

So here's my idea. Since it is the Desert Safety seat, I am going to try to modify a 83/84 R seat pan and see if I can make it work. This will also give me 'pan support' under the nose that rides up the tank that the stock 81/82 seat pan doesn't have. I also have a 4.0 Gal IMS plastic tank on the R too.

The 83/84 R seat pan was given to me when I bought my 82R so I figure, what the heck! The biggest thing is that the plastic is too wide in the back to fit into the indentation in the fender. Going to try to soften the plastic with a torch, and use a clamp to 'squeeze' it in/modify it. Once that is out of the way, the rest of the dimensions look ideal for adding the safety seat to the 81/82R. Then I will drill/double nut new studs for the 81/82 mounting hardware. Wish me luck...

Anyone else ever try this??? What have you done when you can't find a metal pan to replace your old rusty ones?

Bruce :TrikesOwn