PDA

View Full Version : running at full speed for a long time?

vartiak15
09-19-2004, 07:04 PM
is it bad to run your trike at its max power for about 20 min or so? just wondering. like on the road if u took a lil trip on your trike and you were going full speed for a good 20 min or so. is this bad for the trike?

Meat-BoX
09-19-2004, 07:08 PM
I dont do it. Cant be good and I know I messed up the Head on my 4 stroke Mojave Quad from a fast to long road ride. Never was the same.

TTribaLL
09-19-2004, 07:18 PM
I never do it either. I just don't want to take the chance.

mywifeknowseverything
09-19-2004, 07:26 PM
How do those Baja Guys do it then???

smokinwrench
09-19-2004, 07:37 PM
If I'm racing and loosing I'd do it and never think twice about it. If it blows I'll build something faster and better then before.

If your machine has a rev limitier it shouldn't hurt it in my opinion. I think most machines are geared high enough that they don't have enough power to blow themselves up in high gear. The motor should power out before it hits the blow up stage.

Thats just my thoughts on it. smokinwrench is not responsible for your blown engines.

OldSchoolin86
09-19-2004, 08:00 PM
The biggest thing is if it's tuned right. If your running to lean it will mess things up. We used to do tons of open road riding when I was young and didn't have a problem with it.

AZ250R
09-20-2004, 04:26 PM
I've personally "seized" up 2 84 250Rs going flat out as fast & far as possible. I had always wonderd the same thing your asking & I FOUND OUT. Got about 6 miles the 2nd time if ya really wanna know, & when it locks up hold on for a wild deceleration ride! Now those R tha supposed "air-fooler" engines, guess I didn't get them to fool anything huh!?!? I won't try that with my 85 R though, even being watter cooled which I can definately tell helps out. Now I do tha cooling trick of running flat out for 10 seconds or so then with the gas floored, turn off the engine and turn it back on. Heard that floods the head with cool gas keeping it cooler, and that has worked for me so far... :)

86250RZ
09-20-2004, 06:16 PM
The farthest I have run my 86 R non stop WOT was for 5 miles down in south LA. I had no problem what so ever. I did it there and back so 10 miles all together. I do have a dial a jet installed so maybe that helped.

OldSchoolin86
09-20-2004, 06:36 PM
Jetting has a lot to do with it. If you on the lean side so you have the most power you can you'll most likely be frying something. That's how my 200x project started.