PDA

View Full Version : petcock question

ChrisG
09-17-2004, 07:11 PM
I have 2 honda atc's one 185s and one 200s and recently just got the carb rebuilt on the 185. I was wondering if I should turn the petcock and the gas cap to "off" everytime I am done riding them.

Is there any other advice so that the carb stays in perfect shape as both idle and run great now.

Thanks

smokinp
09-17-2004, 07:20 PM
I turn mine off as a anti-theft device,but if you have a key or something or dont have to worry about someone trying to steal it then I would just leave it on,but make sure you dont hve a carb leak because you will lose your gas...

rob0781
09-18-2004, 04:44 AM
With or without the pet cock off there will still be gas in the carb,if thats what your worried about...the only way gas being in the carb is bad is if it's in there for a long period of time and it goes stale,i really wouldn't worry but you could always run the bike with the petcock off till all the fuel burns outta the carb,but still i think it'd be a waste of time..

smokinp
09-18-2004, 01:58 PM
With or without the pet cock off there will still be gas in the carb,if thats what your worried about...the only way gas being in the carb is bad is if it's in there for a long period of time and it goes stale,i really wouldn't worry but you could always run the bike with the petcock off till all the fuel burns outta the carb,but still i think it'd be a waste of time.. yes I know,but it may slow a thief down so they get caught or if its someone who dosnt know much about trikes(or anything with a on/off switch)then they may think that it is broke and just leave it.with the gas off you dont get very far.

OldSchoolin86
09-18-2004, 02:22 PM
yes I know,but it may slow a thief down so they get caught or if its someone who dosnt know much about trikes(or anything with a on/off switch)then they may think that it is broke and just leave it.with the gas off you dont get very far.
I'm sure it happens but that's pretty sad if your steeling machines and don't know how to turn the gas on.