PDA

View Full Version : Help..

Spencer
09-17-2004, 02:44 AM
I am new here. I have a Honda 250 ES. There are a few things wrong with it.

1 no breaks one day my breaks just stoped no matter how hard I push there is 0 resistance on the break disk. The wire is tightening. A friend who knows alot more about atv's than me [he has a grizzly 660 and a big bear] knows most of the parts we took off the tire took off the hub and took off the .. gaurd? or bowl shape thing on front of the iner brakes. well there is a disk with holes in it he said to just pull it off thats how his came off. This did not work no matter how hard I tried what do I do to get this plate off? there are no nuts tighting it or none that i can see. Also the "bowl" we took off was filled with mold.....

2 Starter is broken? If you push on the start button it makes a click sound but the starter doesn't turn. We called the honda shop and asked we bypassed the solinoid but it didn't work so we figure its the ... starter..

Can anyone help me with these problems I am 1 step away from buying a new this but I don't know if this one will work.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2489514403&category=43981
is this what I need? btw the thing in the top right is the "bowl" I was talking about. in the picture in thatlink

or if this starter will work http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2489513936&category=43981

its a [I will check on year tomorrow ] Honda Big Red 250ES

Its really nice tops out at about 55 with super swamper vanpire tires.

BTW this is my dad's 3-wheeler altho he never uses it and I do ALL the time he is really pissed that this is happening so I would like to try to fix some..

is this what I need? btw the thing in the top right is the "bowl" I was talking about.

TTribaLL
09-17-2004, 03:23 AM
1) The *bowl* shapped thing takes some real brute force to take off(but not enough force that it will break off).

2) Your battery is to weak, it may be fully charged but it is still old and worn out sort of speak. This may not be advisable, but start it with the compresion lever *up* and see if it turns over.

3)"A friend who knows alot more about atv's than me [he has a grizzly 660 and a big bear]", your making it sound like just because he has a Grizzy 660 and a big bear, that he *knows* alot more. Just because someone has 2 quads does not mean they know anything more than the guy with one 20 year old quad.

Spencer
09-17-2004, 03:42 AM
he knows alot bout atv's and atc's because thats all he is into thats all he ever does,I wasn't saying he knows crap because he has that, im just saying thats what he is comparing his knowledge about takeing them apart to. I got the "bowl" shaped thing off I can't get the thing under neith that. Its not the battery we got a new one. and it does't have a compression switch. He told me I shouldn't try to pry it too hard because I could bend the peice behind it [has a big o-ring all the way around]

TTribaLL
09-17-2004, 04:21 AM
We have an old ATC 125m, and behind the "bowl" shapped thing is the brake pad setup. And obviously if you pry to hard on "anything" you will break something ;) All I can say about the electric start is that it is probably the wiring or for some reason it has too much compression, but I have never had that problem on any of my machines(my cousins lt230 did that, but the battery was never charged and it had/has many problems with starting).

Hope you get it fixed :beer

atcmatt
09-17-2004, 04:50 AM
That ebay auction will not work on the front of your bigred, cause its the rear brake setup. It will however work on the rear of your bigred. So dont bid on it if your expecting it to fit on the front, cause it wont.

Just a heads up,

Matt

thefox
09-17-2004, 08:48 AM
2 Starter is broken? If you push on the start button it makes a click sound but the starter doesn't turn. We called the honda shop and asked we bypassed the solinoid but it didn't work so we figure its the ... starter..

That does sound like the starter to me too. The clicking sound you here is the solinoid working. Check the wiring like jeswinehart said, also make sure the battery termanals are clean and tight. You can give a local motorcycle shop a call and they may be able to rebuild the starter for you or at least inspect it if you remove it and bring it in.

Spencer
09-17-2004, 11:11 AM
thanks everyone

oh and atc matt i know lol thats what I need rear brakes.. I might just take it in, its just my dad never has time and I don't have a car..