PDA

View Full Version : chain problems

honda110
09-15-2004, 10:04 PM
I have a honda 110 three wheeler. does anyone know how to get the chain of, it doesnt have a master link.

Wild250R
09-16-2004, 05:13 AM
I think there are two ways, on two different models. Sounds like you have the more awkward of the two- the continuous loop. Now for the pain!
remove recoil starter
remove alternator assembly
remove subtransmission
remove lefthand crank case
disconnect rear brake cable and completely unscrew the brake pedal adjustment nut ( at the rear of the bike that sticks out)
unhook the brake pedal return spring and remove brake pedal
withdraw chain tensioner from the left hand side
withdraw the rear axle, drive chain, and drive sprocket assembly from the left hand side.
Open heart surgery would take less time.
This is basically the proceedure from the clymer manual but I would say unless your restoring to showroom condition, with original hardware Etc, just knock a link out the bugger and get a new chain with a master link! You will still be young enough to at least ride the bike once you've replaced the chain, that way! Hope this helps, let me know if I can help in the future Bra! Cheers

TrikerR
09-16-2004, 05:46 AM
yea thats what i would of suggested. luckily on mine i had the breakable chain.

rob0781
09-16-2004, 06:11 AM
my 110 was the pain in the arse one...thank god for a masterlink,i just split the chain and sat it on the top of the front sproket then used a screwdriver to turn the sprocket and feed the chain around then bring it over the rear sprocket then i realized after fighting with the chain to get it over the sprocket it was to long,so i measured it up while it was on the bike and took my angle grinder and ground a pin down broke the chain connected the link and it worked like a charm...lol

smokinp
09-16-2004, 10:30 AM
buy a chain breaker.

hondatrikesrule22
09-16-2004, 04:11 PM
I think there are two ways, on two different models. Sounds like you have the more awkward of the two- the continuous loop. Now for the pain!
remove recoil starter
remove alternator assembly
remove subtransmission
remove lefthand crank case
disconnect rear brake cable and completely unscrew the brake pedal adjustment nut ( at the rear of the bike that sticks out)
unhook the brake pedal return spring and remove brake pedal
withdraw chain tensioner from the left hand side
withdraw the rear axle, drive chain, and drive sprocket assembly from the left hand side.
Open heart surgery would take less time.
This is basically the proceedure from the clymer manual but I would say unless your restoring to showroom condition, with original hardware Etc, just knock a link out the bugger and get a new chain with a master link! You will still be young enough to at least ride the bike once you've replaced the chain, that way! Hope this helps, let me know if I can help in the future Bra! Cheers

Just buy a chain break, like smokinp said, or take a cutoff wheel, cut it off, and buy a chain with a master link.

honda110
09-16-2004, 09:35 PM
thanks for the help.