PDA

View Full Version : How could a Tri-Z go in reverse?

OldSchoolin86
09-15-2004, 12:59 PM
It seems odd to me that it would go into reverse since it had no reverse. Anyone ever heard of this? Either way it could be some nice parts for someone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2489765161&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BID_Stores

Billy Golightly
09-15-2004, 01:01 PM
Its an electrical screw up with the flywheel and stator. Howdy had an 86 T3 that did it as well, all 5 gears. Magnets were glued onto the flywheel incorrectly. I've often wondered if some sort of a toggle switch to change the way the current draws from there would be a way to have a reverse gear. That'd be cool as trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro.

OldSchoolin86
09-15-2004, 01:18 PM
I with you on Howdys but this wasn't all the time. Something must be so out of wack that the timing is jumping around on this one. Mabey the keyway is sheared. That would be a sweet fix. Your right though, it has to be running backwards.

cliff2302
09-15-2004, 02:35 PM
My 86 T3 had the same problem when i put my ricky stator in, turned out it was just in wrong.

Tri-Z Pilot
09-15-2004, 05:58 PM
Yeah definately electric. I used to drive tri-axle mack dumps, and If you almost stalled the truck, but saved it at the last second, for some reason the engine would run backwards. It scared the hell out of me the first time, the exhaust started coming out of the intake by the passenger side of the cab,the forward gears turned into reverse gears, and vise versa, I thought I caught the engine on fire or screwed something up! As it turns out though you just need to restart the engine, it would just make the airfilter a little dirtier.

Dynofox
09-15-2004, 08:09 PM
Ski-doo and now polaris have this type of reverse on their sleds. There is a button on the handle bar that you push and the motor stalls for a second and then restarts its self in reverse rotation thus giving you a weightless reverse system. It's pretty damn slick! :)

TimSr
09-20-2004, 10:45 AM
That seller is a butthead! He ended the auction early 2 minutes before it was over, when I was watching to place my bid. Last week he did the same thing with a cylinder I was going to bid on.

83200e
09-20-2004, 01:12 PM
That seller is a butthead! He ended the auction early 2 minutes before it was over, when I was watching to place my bid. Last week he did the same thing with a cylinder I was going to bid on.

I'm still kinda new to the ebay thing,so this may be a dumb question.Why would he want to end an auction early,seems like he'd want every last bid.?

OldSchoolin86
09-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Buttheads will do that if they are afraid that they will not get what they wanted for it. He might have sold it on the side too. Either way it really ***** when your going for something and they do that. Sorry to hear about it TimSr.

woodstockii
09-20-2004, 05:06 PM
stall a bike on the side of a hill roll backwards and pop the clutch.. I wouldn't think that it to good on your motor but its funny.

A friend of mine used to have a RUPP when we were kids. It nutz watching a dirt bike going in reverse with all gears!

I had a Jeep Cherokee inline 6, stall on side of a hill I eased the clutch out like an idiot trying to slow her down, it was still in 1st and it started up backwards. I didn't run it for long!

TrikeKid
09-22-2004, 12:05 AM
my dad has told me about his old Husky 250 starting backwards useually after a tough section where he was clutching his way through because of how close to TDC they are timed

rippn250R
09-22-2004, 10:39 PM
check the flywheel key. my tecate went in reverse and it turned out to be a worn key, and it was making it fire in reverse.

Pistonhead
09-22-2004, 10:55 PM
stall a bike on the side of a hill roll backwards and pop the clutch.. I wouldn't think that it to good on your motor but its funny.

A friend of mine used to have a RUPP when we were kids. It nutz watching a dirt bike going in reverse with all gears!

I had a Jeep Cherokee inline 6, stall on side of a hill I eased the clutch out like an idiot trying to slow her down, it was still in 1st and it started up backwards. I didn't run it for long!
What kind of rupp, I recently saw a pretty good rupp roadster 2 go for 50 bucks.

BigGreenMachine
09-23-2004, 12:35 AM
Ski-doo and now polaris have this type of reverse on their sleds. There is a button on the handle bar that you push and the motor stalls for a second and then restarts its self in reverse rotation thus giving you a weightless reverse system. It's pretty damn slick! :)

My cousin has a 380 Mxz, small machine but it has the electronic reverse, very cool indeed. Would love to have that setup on my Tecate, it would make life easier somedays.

cliff2302
09-23-2004, 12:51 AM
believe me, you want nothing to do with a tecate running backwards. lol

woodstockii
09-23-2004, 10:01 PM
What kind of rupp, I recently saw a pretty good rupp roadster 2 go for 50 bucks.

Not sure that was like 15 or more yrs ago.. Hell he might even still have it.