PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle removal problems 85 Tri-Z

Wild250R
09-15-2004, 10:43 AM
Hi, was jus wondering if any one could tell me how to remove the actual driven sprocket holder - the star shaped bit( !?), from the axle without damaging the begger. It looks like it is threaded on, but I know if I belt it there's bound to be a non violent removal method, that would hurt the bike and me alot less! Any help is gratefully received, I can't find a manual or viewable downloadable copy anywhere.

Cheers
Life is meant for ridin

TimSr
09-15-2004, 11:46 AM
The only thing holding the sprocket carrier on is the two axle locknuts. Once you remove them, its should slide off the splines holding it in place. If it doesnt come off, I may need some "encouragement". With any metal part that you fear may get whacked out of shape with a hammer, simply put a piece of wood 2 x4 on it and whack freely.

Wild250R
09-15-2004, 03:42 PM
Cheers for the response Tim,
So your saying there's a splined part to the axle after the threaded bit where the two locking nuts are? Cool, I thought it may have been threaded on like the locking nuts - I could'nt see how it worked! Good Job I asked before swinging on it! I'll give it a knock with some wood from the inside, should it take alot of effort and is there anything else you recommend, I am replacing the rear axle bearings and while the axles off was considering upgrading it to something a bit wider for stability?

Tri-Z Pilot
09-15-2004, 06:00 PM
Wild250r, have you turned the wheels around to give you a wider stance?

Darius1502
09-15-2004, 08:22 PM
Yeah its a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro to get off. I ruined an axle doing it.

Be very careful. You may need to to take it to shop just so you can save an axle. Mine was frozen to all hell.

CHAINSAW
09-15-2004, 09:00 PM
Mine was frozen as well. I had to cut mine off, and Im telling you, it was not giving up the fight. Even cut in two pieces, it still took a lot of swinging with the hammer to get off. Just pray its not rusted on that bad, or your in for a good weeks worth of headache. I pounded, heated, made a homemade gear puller, panther piss, every trick in the book.... the end result was a cut off wheel.

Wild250R
09-16-2004, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the advice. The last dude who owned it mentioned the "axle wobblin abit"! Can't think why he never fixed it? Suppose you weigh everything up and think how bad do the bearings have to get before you chop the begger up! I will whack carefully, and keep you posted.Cheers Guys, really appriciate the advice!

Wild250R
09-16-2004, 05:29 AM
Oh, and Tri-Z Pilot, I have'nt tried the wheel reverse thing, but if things go well with the bearing/driven sprocket pickle, I'll definitly give it a whirl! cheers Mate