PDA

View Full Version : Broken chains.....cracked cases....350X

clong
09-13-2004, 01:57 PM
I have been seeing threads lately about chains braking or derailing and cracking the cases on 3 wheelers, especially 350X's. What is the best way to prevent this or shall I say what is the strongest brand/type chain out there that you can buy for a 350X or any trike for that matter. I need one bad.

On another note about 350X’s, whats the deal with the demand for a OEM 350X black rear fender flap. On ebay there is one going for over $100 and there is 3 days to go still.

350x'inNY
09-13-2004, 02:27 PM
If you have a case saver, you should be fine. They are still available from HONDA the last time I checked. It's a metal piece that runs between the sprosket and the case so that there's no space for the chain to 'wrap' around the sprocket and it slows the momentum from wacky your case. It mounts with the same bolts behind the sprocket cover.

As far as the black mud flap, they are DISC. from Honda and are very hard to find in one piece. Many have been broken over the years from falling off the fenders or from wheeling over onto them. Depending upon the shape, I've seen them go from ~$65 to ~$150/200 on eBay.

Bruce

clong
09-13-2004, 02:48 PM
What Honda website do you go to get a case saver?

clong
09-13-2004, 02:54 PM
No worries, I went and found a guy who sells them new, a Honda factory part for $17 on ebay. I'll check mine at home to see if my bike has one on it. According to his add the 86 350X came with one from the factory. If not I'll buy it. I don't want to hurt that awesome 350X motor.

350x'inNY
09-13-2004, 04:11 PM
Yep... there's a guy that sells them for $17 on eBay, but you can get them yourself from www.ServiceHonda.com for like $13 if you are buying other parts as well. (If not, than the shipping will make it cheaper to get on eBay) Else, get it from the guy on eBay. I bought one from him and some 'owner's' manuals. Good guy.. the owners manuals were reprints of the originals that came with the bikes in the day. The case saver was still in the HONDA parts bag.

Bruce

84250r
09-13-2004, 04:51 PM
what this guys ebay name?

hrc200x
09-13-2004, 10:52 PM
Probably 99% of case damage is from a chain falling off, not breaking. To keep chains from falling off, keep chain tension correct, make sure swing arm and rear axle bearings have no play, and it helps to run a skid plate.

ATCnut
09-14-2004, 11:38 PM
I agree with HRC. The other thing that makes a chain come off is just running it until it is completly shot. I replace front sprockets as soon as they show just a little wear, and the whole set when the rear sprocket is shows wear both ways (I flip the rear over when it is worn one way) With a quality O-Ring chain you will never have problems with it coming off.

The other thing is that the stock case saver does not fit with a 14 tooth front sprocket. The stock is 13 tooth. I took one and spend a couple of hours filing it down so it would fit with the 14.

TimSr
09-15-2004, 08:37 AM
Ive never seen a "snapped chain" in my life, and about 99.5% of "snapped" chains can be traced back to a master link that came apart, and most that come apart are from being improperly installed.

Proper tension and alignment are your best guards agianst chians coming off. One lesson Honda should have learned from Yamaha is to use a chain guide. Its pretty rare for a Yamaha ATV to toss a chain because of this.