PDA

View Full Version : 200X Adjustment..NEED HELP FAST!!

250RWANTER
09-11-2004, 06:12 PM
Okay, supposed to go riding tomorrow and was changing the oil, etc today on my 1985 200X. Decided to adjust the cam chain tensioner as it was it was getting a little loud and it hadnt been adjusted in a long time.

So it gets warmed up, I loosed the big nut (the bolt on top I did not mess with, that stayed tight and turned with the big lower nut) waited a few seconds and it just got LOUDER. I tightened it back down and did it again. Same thing. Still loud!!

How can it get WORSE?! What can I do to fix the problem. The chain isnt that old at all maybe 1.5 years or so, but not many rides. Not enough to have it streched or anything thats for sure.

Someone please help me asap so I can go riding tomorrow!!
Thanks!

trainingwheeler
09-12-2004, 09:30 AM
from the 200x service manual scans i found either here or 3 wheelers .org you just are supposed to take the top bolt out then loosen the big nut and with a little screwdriver push down on the metal pin inside of the big nut where the top bolt came out of

samster143
09-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Doing wnat training wheeler said will remove all tension from the cam chain. Do not loosen that small bolt. I believe that is for assembly of the motor, so you can remove tension by removing the small bolt, inserting a punch push down and tighten the larger bolt to hold that slackened position. From what I can tell here either your cam chain, the tensioner, or the guide is is worn... maybe all of them. I had that same loudining happen to me with a fairly new cam chain....It was worn out after about 1.5 years. New chain....no noise.

250RWANTER
09-13-2004, 12:48 PM
hhmmm....I replaced all that I thought when I redid the engine. I havent even riden it that much.

And I took that small bolt off as said my someone else to check to see if it had 'spring' and nothing...just solid.

It was never even made noise until recently...just real light. I thought I'd adjust for the first time and thats when it got loud.

I probably dont even have 40 hours on the thing.

Any suggestions?