PDA

View Full Version : oops.. I got a...

MIK6
09-11-2004, 08:37 AM
POLARIS SCRAMBLER!!!!!
I think I got a good deal on it, its in really nice shape. I am missing a few parts to make it better. It runs GREAT, not alot of smoke, drives/ rides PERFACT. It is missing the rear rack, the front chain guard, and the rear brakes need work. If anyone knows where them missing parts are, let me know.
I will try to post a picture of it.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK OF IT.
MIK6 / Mike

atcmatt
09-11-2004, 09:01 AM
Nice Mike! Some accident that is :Bounce . Looks to be in fair shape aswell. Do you plan on restoring it or are you satisfied with it how it is? I know i would be.

Matt

370banshee
09-11-2004, 10:23 AM
i didn't know polaris made trikes?? it's cool lookin too. i have 1 question though. doesw it wiegh a million pounds like polaris quads do??

jeswinehart
09-12-2004, 12:46 AM
well hey ,,, look at that ! i might get a chance at riding another one of those trikes !

cool beans mike ! john

rob0781
09-12-2004, 12:56 AM
Are those foot pegs aftermarket?

Dammit!
09-12-2004, 01:00 AM
Are those foot pegs aftermarket?

No. Polaris trikes had fully automatic transmissions so they used foot "boards" instead of pegs. No shifting required at all and the brakes were hand levers.

rob0781
09-12-2004, 01:06 AM
I don't think i'd like a fully automatic,what if your climbing a hill and the trike doesn't downshift????i like to be somwhat in controll of the trike i think fully automatic would be dangerous in some situations....Maybe not tho i guess i'd have to ride one to know for sure..

smokinp
09-12-2004, 01:39 AM
cool!what do you think of it?

vartiak15
09-12-2004, 09:25 AM
how does it ride? action pics!!!!!

OldSchoolin86
09-12-2004, 10:39 AM
I don't think i'd like a fully automatic,what if your climbing a hill and the trike doesn't downshift????i like to be somwhat in controll of the trike i think fully automatic would be dangerous in some situations....Maybe not tho i guess i'd have to ride one to know for sure..

It's a V-belt system that has been proven for more years than a lot of us here have lived. As you excelerate up or down it changes.

MIK6
09-12-2004, 11:20 AM
I found the trike in the local Swapsheet. I figured I would go take a look at it and burn a few pictures. I have only seen and ridden 1 other Polaris Scrambler (Howdys). I figured it was a great chance to get some picts. When I got there I was shocked at how nice it was, after talking to the guy it seemed that only hunters looking for a camp ATV were interested in it. I couldn't bear to have it lost and rotting somewhere outside in the woods. I talked to the GF and we picked it up.
I have let a few friends take it for a spin. Everyone says its the coolest thing they have ridden, a few said its the funnest trike they have been on. Most just come back and say "I WANT ONE!!!". I love it, everytime I look at it I get a huge grin on my face.
I will keep it in the shape it is in, prob do a small resto this winter. I am in need of a few parts if anyone can help I would apreciate it. Need==> a rear rack, rear caliper w/ cable, front sprocket guard, rear chain guard (skid plate thing). These parts are also off a 85/86 trail boss, keep your eyes out for me. I noticed the lower adjuster on the shock has broke off as well. I found a site w/ all the parts diagrams last nite. I printed them all off, I will give it a better go over this week to see if its missing anything else.

WISH ME LUCK W/ IT
MIK6 / MIKE

OldSchoolin86
09-12-2004, 11:26 AM
Good Luck with it MIK6! I didn't say it before but it truely is a great find.

trikerider2oo7
09-12-2004, 03:12 PM
nice find mike...i hope you find the parts you need. that bike is in very good condition as is and with the parts missing it'll be even better

dogger
09-12-2004, 05:17 PM
mike if your interested I know were there is one that is decent shape that's been totaly converted to a quad it'll have all the part's you'll need I think. pm me if you have any interest. I know it's not exzactly part's but a complete bike.

MIK6
09-12-2004, 08:14 PM
I took the Scrambler out today for a 30+ mile ride. WHAT A BLAST!!! The thing ran great, it handled great, it went everyplace I put it w/o a complaint. No rattles, no new smoke, nothing broke or came loose. No new suprizes. I LOVE IT!!! If I can find rear brakes and a rear rack it would be even better.
Everyone needs 1 of these things. I couldn't believe how much fun it was to ride. :Bounce

MIK6 / Mike

MTS
09-12-2004, 09:07 PM
man that thing dose look fun :)

ATCwithdrawals
09-12-2004, 09:11 PM
Excellent find !!! The hardest parts I had finding was the Emblems on the gas tank.They are different then the ones on the 85 4 wheeler. I might have the parts you need , I'll have to look. Congrats on the Rare find.{they only produced those trikes for 6 months}

Meat-BoX
09-12-2004, 09:28 PM
That is a pretty nice looking trike. Im glad it took you for 30 miles, shes a keeper. I hope to see it when I come up to your place some day to ride or get some parts. Tell you what I'll let you ride my Tecate if I can cruise your Polaris :beer
I havnt riddin my Tecate more than 4 miles in one shot yet. I need to get it to the northshore trails or the Oswego dunes but I have an ARE cap on my truck that weighs alot.

MTS
09-12-2004, 10:01 PM
oh wow i didnt know they only made thos for 6 months...holy crap thats a nice find..lolbtw atcwithdrawls..nice collection..ima get me a old Us 90 to restor..

MIK6
10-14-2004, 11:35 PM
I have had no luck finding the missing parts yet. I would apreciate any help finding any parts I can.
I need a rear caliper, a rear brake cable, a rear rack, 1 tank badge and a seat cover. The key switch is messed up, it works I would replace it if I had a good 1.
I hate to risk wrecking it w/o brakes. The rack holds up the rear fenders, I get very nervous a fender might brake w/o it. I know the 85/86 trail boss uses the same parts I am missing.

THANKS FOR THE HELP
MIK6 / Mike

86250RZ
10-15-2004, 12:27 PM
That is identical to the one my Grandfather bought new back in the 80's. He had it at his camp house down in Holley Beach, LA. I loved that trike and was suprised, with it being an automatic at how fast it would accelerate, brings back good memories. I used to have a blast ridding that thing up and down the beach.

atctim
10-15-2004, 05:05 PM
Those autos are pretty cool to ride. Almost too easy. Nice find and good luck with it. They are a strange looking creature and you never see them around (or actually never did see them around much). I wonder how many were made in those 6 months????

Any idea on weight???

Howdy
10-16-2004, 06:54 PM
I wonder how many were made in those 6 months????

Any idea on weight???

They were made for 2 years. The Shop manual shows 380lbs. I know they are one heavy machine. You would never guess it while riding it though. It is the smoothest riding machine I ever rode ( I have had one for 2 1/2 years now ).
Howdy