PDA

View Full Version : my 125m won't shift

wasted wages
09-10-2004, 08:55 AM
I apologize if this has been covered,couldn't find it in a search.seems my 85' 125m won't shift out of first.anybody have any clues about it?the shifter will move up & down but it seems to not engage the next gear.any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Marc

TrikerR
09-10-2004, 09:44 AM
are you sure the actually shaft is moving because your splines may be worn out. if thats the case you can go two ways, try to fiel out them or you can just weld the shfter on. a way to check if that is the problems is to get a pair of vicegrips and use that as a shifter and if that dosent work then theres something inside the bottom ends that not working. it could be your shift forks.
anyway hope this helps

wasted wages
09-10-2004, 10:14 AM
No, I'm sure it's moving.Iv'e got the side cover off the engine & can see the selector moving at the shift drum.

thefox
09-10-2004, 11:41 AM
No, I'm sure it's moving.Iv'e got the side cover off the engine & can see the selector moving at the shift drum.

Is the shitf drum moving when you try to shift? can you turn the drum by hand?

Howdy
09-10-2004, 01:35 PM
I am going to asume you have either a 84 or 85 125m here. This style motor is basically the same design as a Honda 90-110. The most 2 common cause of shifting problems on this style motor is the "Stopper Pawl" breaks or the screw / bolt for the shifter tumbler comes loose. These can be seen in the attatched picture. #1 is the stopper pawl, #2 is the bolt that comes loose.

If you have the right side cover removed you should be able to see these items. The stopper pawl normally breaks right at the 90 degree bend point.

Please check your motor for these possible problems and then give us a update. Once the problem is positively located then we can assist you in methods of fixing it.
Thanks
Howdy

wasted wages
09-10-2004, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the info.here's what I've got,I pulled the clutch & drive gear.the pawl & the detent both look ok but, when you shift it up or down it seems to get stuck between gears.I did manage to get it beyond 1st but with much difficulty.then it was a bear to get back to neutral.I took a picture to show where it gets stuck.I realize it has dog engagement but even moving the bike back & forth didn't seem to affect it.

MTS
09-11-2004, 02:06 PM
i had the same thing with my atc90..im still not shure what is wrong with it i got it to shift by pulling on the shifter really hard...but i know befor it wouldent shift becuse the arm that moves the drum that catch part is warn out i think...i just jiggled the arm and it poped in and its been fine since O_o

wasted wages
09-11-2004, 05:06 PM
it seems like the pawl that actually shifts the drum is either not shifting completely or getting stuck.i can fiddle with it & pry up on it & it seems to work better.I'm going to mess with it some more tonight.

thanks.

wasted wages
09-15-2004, 06:42 PM
any other ideas? finally got a manual for it.going to tear it down this weekend unless someone has a better idea.

thanks.

wasted wages
04-27-2006, 10:21 AM
Just an FYI to let you guys know what fixed it. It seems the kids were a little rough on shifting. On the shift forks, where the guide pins follow the groove in the shift drum, the fork metal had actually pinched or puckered to the point the shift fork was binding on the drum. I removed the locating pins & polished the inside of the fork with a dremel & a flap wheel (120grit IIRC). The fork slides smooth as silk across the drum now. Shifts like a dream!