PDA

View Full Version : 200 Honda...No spark

Savage99
09-07-2004, 09:31 PM
I have a chance to buy a 1981 honda 200 trike thats in desent cosmetic shape...the only thing its not running .....I guess there is no spark. It comes with a bunch of spare parts, decent tires and he wants $275. What do you guys think? What could the problem be?

mARK.

thefox
09-07-2004, 10:13 PM
Electrical problems can be tricky but if you have patients then they don't get too expensive. If the only problem is it not getting spark then $275 sounds like a fair price. After replacing the plug and checking the wiring the first thing I would suspect is the stator coil, they seem to go the most often. There are six parts to the wiring for the 200, the stator coil, CDI box, CDI advancer, and ignition coil, wiring harness, and kill switch. Make sure you have a good tester and test the harness and switch first then post when you need the resistance values for the others.

MTS
09-07-2004, 10:46 PM
d00d i think you must live near me if that was in the edmonton bargin finder i was gona go call him to look at...but i have too many other projects..:P

Savage99
09-07-2004, 10:58 PM
d00d i think you must live near me if that was in the edmonton bargin finder i was gona go call him to look at...but i have too many other projects..:P
It was the Edmonton bargain finder. The trike is pretty fair cosmetically but I don't know about the electrical....some parts are already taken off and some are in a box? If I knew much about electrical I would take a shot...but? Electric parts seem to be pricey....especially if you have to go changing everything to find out the problem. I really don't know. I think i'll sleep on this one.

Mark.

MTS
09-07-2004, 11:47 PM
well if you do get it and need a hand gime a shout i just re-did half the eletrical on my friends 200m and 200s :P

Savage99
09-08-2004, 12:34 AM
How much money could you run into fixing electrical problems on a trike? I would like to know the top end so I can decide whether it will be worth the expense or not. Also can I still get parts for this machine?

Mark.

PS MyTrikeSucks...I appriciate the offer and I might have to take you up on it. What part of the city you from. I am in the Capilano area.

Howdy
09-08-2004, 08:32 AM
I have a chance to buy a 1981 honda 200 trike thats in desent cosmetic shape...the only thing its not running .....I guess there is no spark. It comes with a bunch of spare parts, decent tires and he wants $275. What do you guys think? What could the problem be?

mARK.

Over the past 15+ years I have found the exciter coils fail the most. To check it you need a good ohm meter. Un plug the black with red striped wire coming from the stator ( behind the pullstarter / flywheel ). One test terminal on the connector the other to the motor. You should get a 215-240 ohm reading. The lower the reading the weaker the spark.

This test takes under 1 minute to do. ;)

Howdy

MTS
09-08-2004, 06:58 PM
im in the fort sask gibbons area out of edmonton but i might be movin into the city(not at my own will!!) but i know the area :P

matteo7142
12-06-2005, 03:55 PM
i too have a 200s and now i have no spark but i had everthing check out and all electrical parts are good anyone care to help with this one >??????????

matteo7142
12-06-2005, 03:55 PM
i too have a 200s and now i have no spark but i had everthing check out and all electrical parts are good anyone care to help with this one >??????????

TeamGeek6
12-06-2005, 04:49 PM
When in doubt, suspect the wiring. Its a weak point in Hondas

DeePa
12-06-2005, 10:17 PM
http://deepa.recongamer.com has the manuals for the 200s, 200x, 200m, and 200e. No plain 200, but the engine is basically the came thing anyways.

Take a peek at the manuals and the charging system troubleshooter...should help you out

danteross77
12-06-2005, 10:26 PM
One of the easier things to over look is the pulse generator and the timing advane rotor, if you rotor is on backward 180 no spark, also check to see if your pulse generator has slipped and rubbed up against the rotor, it may be damaged also check the timing of the pulse generator it should align with the marks on the flywheel and marks on the rotor and generator.