PDA

View Full Version : how to get the rear brake hub off on a 84 200es honda B.R.

svo58
09-07-2004, 05:43 PM
i have all the bolts off the washer and it don't move.Anybody have any tricks to get it off ,it's a 84 honda big red 200es shaft drive.I need the brake drum off to get the axel out .Any help would be great ,thanks , svo58

200xman
09-07-2004, 07:55 PM
You have to remove the axle nuts also. Time to pick up a manual.

svo58
09-07-2004, 08:30 PM
i used the manual ,took the 2 axel nuts,the brake cable and the outer bolts.I can't get it apart it's like it's stuck.I need to pry it apart ,i can't get anything between the brake hub and the axel houseing.Any ideas on how to get them apart,(everything is disconected by the manual it should slide out but it's old and rusted)

nickel16
09-07-2004, 09:06 PM
take a rubber mallet and tap it so it rotates a lill, basically u need to break the gasket loose and it should slide off then

atcmatt
09-07-2004, 10:22 PM
Yep use a rubber mallet and tap it around and around, you could try some heat and lubricatnt if nothing else works for you. I know your not supposed to but i use a chisel to pry apart cases that are stubborn. The just wet sand it if it gets damaged. The liquid gasket i use fills up any space that gets damaged (thats if it even does get damaged).

Hope you get it off,

Matt

ClayW
09-07-2004, 10:28 PM
Yeah use a rubber mallet or hammer ( lightly) and tap it alll the way around the drum. While you do that push or pull on the drum with your other hand. I will eventually break loose. The best and easiest way to get the hub off is to use a 3 Jaw pulley puller. I say 3 Jaw becase it will spread the tension out better. Put it on the hub with the center on the axle and then put a wrench on it and slowly tighten it down. It should start sliding off the axle. They put some kinda gunk on there from the factory that wants to stay on there for ever. LOL. That will do the trick. Wack that drum a bit and it will break loose. They always do, even on cars.

ClayW

svo58
09-08-2004, 04:46 AM
Thanks i'll try the rubber mallot and tap it sideways to spin it.I'll let you know how it goes.You guys are great,thanks again............svo58

bigredhead
09-08-2004, 08:29 AM
i have the exact same bike..

I HAD to use a torch to heat it up some and loosen the silicone used by the previous owner to seal it up .. i'm not talking red hot torch heat.. i mean slowly distribute the heat arond the hub, and rubber mallet and flat head screwdriver with a hammer alot of beer and nasty words later.. i got it.

Good luck... they can be a B()*&&

svo58
09-11-2004, 08:07 AM
the hub is loose but wont come off the axel.Where the axel and bearing on the hub meet it's stuck there.how do i brake it free,can't heat it up the rubber seal will melt ,i've tried everything i could think of to get it loose.The hub spins buy hand i've got 1/4 inch space all the way around the drum i'm soaking it in penatrating oil.Did anybody else have this problem.Need help please............svo58

Bigred200
05-06-2005, 10:44 PM
Sell it to me for $50 that will solve everything. I'll even pick it up....lol......j/k It should slide off now.

1shot
05-08-2005, 02:56 AM
I know this sounds stupid, really stupid but sometimes you start a project and dont think about the smallest detail. Like if your trying to get a stuck drum off and it wont budge........make sure you don't have the parking brake engaged :cry:

bigredhead
05-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Parking brake ?????

Were any model trikes ever made with those ???????

Mike_Ham_250R
05-08-2005, 04:28 PM
Parking brake ?????

Were any model trikes ever made with those ???????
All models of trikes were made with those

Oldshell4481
05-08-2005, 05:02 PM
thats weird my trike doesnt have a parking brake

bigredhead
05-09-2005, 08:34 PM
I was being sarcastic.... :p..

Someday. when i run out of things to fix.. god i sure hope that happens some day.

That'll be the last thing i do.

dblshockpower
05-09-2005, 08:47 PM
funny, tonite I was just breaking down a rear end I bought a couple months ago, sounds familiar your axle collar is stuck on the axle so keep going at the brake hub after about an inch of gap she'll fall off..wack it with a mallet and use a 2x4 for your punch..now someone tell me how to get off the axle collar?