PDA

View Full Version : Big Red Rear Brake Not Working

Power_Ram100
09-06-2004, 08:44 PM
The rear brake on my 83 Big Red dosent work very well. I put new pads on and tightned the cables and got new return springs but i still cant get the rear wheels to stop. I have tightned the cables so the rear drags alot but it sill wont stop very well. I think the drum might be warped or out of round. Has anybody else had this problem?? Any suggestions would be helpful.

broook
09-06-2004, 09:59 PM
Did you file down the leading edge of each shoe??

Also you should clean off the inside drum surface with fine emery cloth.

MTS
09-07-2004, 12:01 AM
sounds like you need a new drum becuse its been worn too much..but...also the little shaft that ingages the brakes could be siezed or not opening all the way all you have to do is take the brake assebly apart pop out the shafts grease em up and rotateem around a little..and if that dosnt work you could have strteched cabels or as a said first it could be warn bad..my 0.2 cents :)

Power_Ram100
09-07-2004, 01:49 AM
I did file down the edge of the brake shoe and i took apart the whole rear brake assembly and greased it up.

bigredhead
09-07-2004, 08:45 AM
Be ABSOLUTELY SURE you don't have ANY grease on the shoes or the drum, clean them bone dry and smooth, any oil or grease on the shoe surface or the drum will prevent friction.. well. duh.. but i thought i'd mention it !

Pistonhead
09-07-2004, 01:57 PM
I had that problem with the hand brake on my 83, so I disconnected the hand brake, and left the foot brake connected, the foot brake stops it very quickly, and it no longer drags or makes that ear piercing screech! Some guy I know said to pull out the whole cable and put it in diesel overnight to help it loosen and stretch out so that it will actually stop the trike and stay at about the same level as the foot brake cable so that it wont drag the trike.