PDA

View Full Version : Stuck again...stupid question?

Savage99
09-06-2004, 10:22 AM
I am in the middle of doing the top end on my 1982 Trimoto 175 after getting some advice from you guys here and I have a question. I have been reading up on the proper ways to do this job and it seems that tourquing the head and cylinder are very important. I see no problem getting in there to tourque the head but to take off the cylinder all I could get in there was a wrench, no room at all for a socket. How can you tourque a nut properly if you can't use a tourque wrench? This may end up being a stupid question but I have no idea. Thanks guys for all the help so far.

Mark.

400ccHomemade
09-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Only thing I can think of is removing the engine and doing it on the floor. How hard do you think that would that be?

ATC crazy
09-06-2004, 11:54 AM
I agree that just about the only thing you can fit on those bolts are a wrench. I was taking off the cylinder on my tri-moto 125 and a socket wouldnt even fit under the cooling fins to remove the bolt. I had to use a wrench. Mabey you could ask a couple shops and see if there is a torque "wrench" or something like that, that would fit in there...

Good luck

corndawg
09-06-2004, 12:07 PM
i learned a way to get around that at school, all you need is a fish scale measure and see how long the wrench is. for example if the wrench is 1 foot long then hook the scale on the end of the wrench and pull, for every one pound the scale reads you will then have 1/ft pound and so on. not as easy as a torque wrench but itll get the job done

Savage99
09-06-2004, 09:21 PM
Right on! Sounds like a simple enough solution...Thanks!

MTS
09-07-2004, 12:02 AM
wow i learnd sumtin today..lol good tip :)