PDA

View Full Version : '84 Honda atc 200s oil change ??

ChrisG
09-05-2004, 09:25 PM
I recently purchased a '84 honda atc 200s and was wondering how much oil and what kind of oil I should use for an oil change?

I also was wondering if the bolt right under the dipstick is used to drain the old oil out.

Thanks!

83185s
09-05-2004, 09:27 PM
1 quart or either 10-30 or 1-40 its easy to change..there is a bolt right under the pull starter ...take it out and let it drain and take out any pieces of metal u see..clean the screen water works fine sinces its not an actual filter just make sure u let it dry and then put it all back in and put in the new quart in the dipstick hole

ChrisG
09-05-2004, 09:34 PM
Thanks so much -

I also have a '83 honda 185 that idle's really high. I played with the srew on the carb with no success. I also took the needle out above the carb and it still idles high. Any thoughts - carb clean, etc.

Thanks Again,
Chris

83185s
09-05-2004, 10:44 PM
are u sure trailprotrailpro throttle cable is in the right spot on trailprotrailpro carb? i mean yea it goes in only one hole on the top but is the black thing in right..theres 2 slots on the sides of it and it should slide all the way down into the carb so theres like no spring pressure on it...try cleaning it out if thats not the problem...just get some carb cleaner and spray in there and see if that does the trick..do it while its running...o yea 185 and 200 engines are the same its just that 200's have bigger jets and bigger bore..thats the only difference exept the 200x which im not explaining cause i dunno about them..trailprotrailpro carb is prolly just gummed up and if its not then try adjusting trailprotrailpro fuel air mix

threewheelin-feelin
09-05-2004, 10:49 PM
dude use pennzoil 10w40 and it takes about a quart and a half. i use 10 40 cause thats what is recomended with the new honda. or atleast on then 2 new dirtbikes we got.

83185s
09-05-2004, 10:58 PM
i put in some of that valvoline max life for high milage stuff in my 185 cause its had the piss rode out of it before i got it i think mine was 10-40 but i mixed it with 20-50 so it wont leak as much so mines liek 15-45..lol..the clymer says 1 quart sprox but im not in the mood for arguin so im not gonna..lol

Krankie_V
07-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Honda recommends using 10W-40 4 cycle oil. Personally, i use Delo 15W-40 diesel oil for extra protection and longer engine life.

An important thing is that you should take the right side cover off and clean the oil filter rotor, as this is something few people remember to do. After you take the right footpeg off and all the bolts holding the cover on, you may need to tap on it with a hammer to get it off. Then on the centrifugal clutch there's a cover with 3 botls. remove the 3 bolts and pry the cover off with a screwdriver. On the back side of this is the oil filter rotor and it will need to be wiped (or scraped) out depending on how much debris is in it. After it's clean you'll want to either install a new gasket or use silicone to seal it up and put it all back together. Tighten the side cover bolts to 7-10 ft. lbs of torque or about 120 inch pounds. Cleaning this thing will help keep your engine alive. Sadly, very few people do it.

caldera
07-13-2010, 02:27 AM
Check your cable routing on that 185. I had problems with my 200s idling out of control and come to find out the throttle cable was not put in according to spec. I just pulled up the manual off this site and fixed the cable according to spec. Fixed it right up