PDA

View Full Version : 350X Exhaust Options?? Need opinions!!!

ClayW
09-05-2004, 12:52 PM
I need a new header pipe for my 350X. Its looking like on Ebay Its going to cost me about $40 approx for one. My stock muffler is good. Im thinking that I should just sell my stock muffler, and use that money and the money I would have spent on a header pipe to buy an new exhaust. Whats the best deal for the money. Im looking to spend at the most $200. I know that I can get an Cobra set up for about $150. I can Get a chrome DG exhaust for $181. These are prices at Dennis Kirks website. Is the DG that much better. How about the sound of the exhaust. I have a Cobra exhaust on my Big Red so I know what it sounds like. Obviously it will sound different on the X as it is a bigger motor, and its a different muffler. What about the DG? Sound? Noisy? Any other options? Brands, Mods?? Let me know what you think.

ClayW

350Xccelerator
09-05-2004, 12:58 PM
dg and cobra are really loud.

BLAZERONE22
09-05-2004, 01:38 PM
I would consider keeping a stock headpipe and going with the 450r silencer like this guy did, it looks good and has the factory spark arrester. DG and Cobra are waaay to loud. I have the DG excellerater on one of my 350x's and a supertrapp on the other. If you can find a stock headpipe and Supertrapp that would be a good way to go also. The DG is a little spendy and I prefer the Trapp over it.

http://images.snapfish.com/33%3B7635923232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E2324%3D589%3D656%3DX ROQDF%3E232354%3A8237%3B3ot1lsi

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2059

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=25052

OldSchoolin86
09-05-2004, 09:07 PM
BLAZERONE22 is right and a bigger head pipe won't gain you anything unless your running some serious mods.

MO350X
09-05-2004, 10:10 PM
I took my X on some SERIOUS trail riding today in the woods behind my place.
The pipe performed FLAWLESSLY and my mounting didn't budge.

I have to say that performance was not altered one bit over the obnoxious no-name pipe I HAD on it.
That thing was obnoxious.

The 450R sounded EXACTLY like my brother's TRX450R (he rode with us)....QUIET!

It's a neat piece.
If you can get your hands on one, DO IT!
Mounting is a piece of cake and you WON'T be disappointed with the results.
Quiet power.

Any questions? e-mail me.
Take care!

ClayW
09-05-2004, 10:59 PM
Hey I might be emailing you. I tried to find one of those muffers on Ebay today but had not luck. Did you weld the pipe to the header pipe? The part about the Pie shaped piece lost me. Fill me in if you can. Thanks for the help man.

ClayW

MO350X
09-06-2004, 03:42 PM
Hey I might be emailing you. I tried to find one of those muffers on Ebay today but had not luck. Did you weld the pipe to the header pipe? The part about the Pie shaped piece lost me. Fill me in if you can. Thanks for the help man.

ClayW

Hey Clay.

I looked, too. No mufflers on there right now.
I cut off the front section of my old muffler and used it as an "intermediate" pipe between the "header" and the muffler's inlet.

No, I didn't weld the muffler to the intermediate pipe.
The clamp and internal graphite gasket from the 450R muffler fit like a glove.
The O.D. of the old intermediate pipe is exactly what the 450R has: approx. 1.5 inches O.D..

The pie shape was a little sliver I cut out of the pipe to sharpen the bend that went into the muffler.
Basically cutting out a "V" from the pipe (not all the way through), bending it to the point where the cut edges meet and welding it. No big deal at all.
And not much of a cut, either. "Just enough" to get the bend I needed.

ATC crazy
09-06-2004, 08:07 PM
I would look elsewhere than Dennis Kirk if you are going to be buying a new system. They were $50 MORE EXPENSIVE than RMATV where I got my muffler.

AirManCam
09-06-2004, 08:33 PM
RMATV doesnt sell 350x pipes..I already checked. I prefer the cobra over the dg, becuase the cobra has a nice throaty sound to it, and the dg is a little on the weaker side. They are both LOUD, but for the money you have, I would go with a cobra, look for a used supertrapp.

ClayW
09-06-2004, 08:38 PM
I will keep looking at all the options I guess. Tough choices. LOL I may do the 450R pipe. I will keep you posted.

ClayW