PDA

View Full Version : Help with Trimoto 175

Savage99
09-05-2004, 10:25 AM
Hello all, I was hoping for some guidance from you all. I have a 1982 trimoto 175 that was running. Yesterday I was out burning around and it quite and I cant get it going. I have spark and I have fuel into the carb. When I was stopped a couple of other riders came to help me out and they said I have very little compression when pulling the starter cord. As long as I have owned it (only two months) it has been very easy to pull as it started first try. They say that thier guess is I need a ring job. Since I am new to this I wanted some advice. Can I just change the rings or do I have to change the piston and hone out the cylinder as well? I don't want to spend a ton of cash on this thing but I want a reliable machine as I plan on using it to go hunting this year. Thanks in advance for any advice or experiences.

Mark.

Savage99
09-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Well, I took the top end apart and the piston and cylinder are both pretty scarred so I guess I have answered my original question. I was hoping someone out there would have an idea on the price of a new top end (piston, rings and gaskets) as well as having the cyliner rehoned. There is no bike shops in my area open today and I am wondering if this is going to cost me an arm and a leg. Thanks.

Mark.

TimSr
09-05-2004, 06:21 PM
If they are scarred up, you are not going to get away with honing it. Youll need a bore job, and overbore piston and rings. You're probably looking at around $200 if you are taking it apart, and reassembling.

thefox
09-05-2004, 06:32 PM
oversized piston and rings = $90ish
Bore job = $60ish
Gaskets = $20ish

Take the parts into a shop and they can tell you what size piston to order or you could probably just order it though them. Good luck.

Savage99
09-05-2004, 08:32 PM
$200.00 heh? Do you think it would be worth putting that king of money into. I bought it for $300 and then put another $100 into it (bearings, tire, etc). I bought it to use for hunting this year and then pass on to my kids when I get a little bigger of a machine. At the time I thought at $300 how can you go wrong since it seemed to run great. If I overbored it would I get alot more power (keeping in mind it must have had crappy compression since I bought it) because hauling me around @ 240lbs it seemed a little under-powered before. As always any advice sure would be appriciated.

Mark.

Meat-BoX
09-05-2004, 08:58 PM
I think its worth it seeing how you own it now. Put $200.00 into it and it will last ya a long time.