PDA

View Full Version : Sticky throttle cable

firehart
09-04-2004, 11:04 PM
Hi,
I picked up the 85 Honda 200X tonight. We tried to get it running but the throttle cable is stuck. We even bent the little rod in the covered part on the handlebars. I don't know how lomg its been sitting. What's the best way to clean up the carb?

TrikerR
09-05-2004, 08:32 AM
this happened to me 110. its your throttle, its stick in the slide by something, maybe fuel thats turned to varnish. the best thing to do is undo the throttle at the top of the carb and spray tons of Wd-40 in there all round and then little it sit. after youve left it sit for a bit try to wiggle it free the throttle free. if this dowent work after a couple times of , try putting the whole carb in fuel and then try and wigle it free.
anyway, hope this helps and have fun with 200x

ClayW
09-05-2004, 09:18 AM
yeah the slide in the carb is varnished up. take the top off and clean it. should solve the problem.

clayw

hondaATCman
09-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Yeah, the slide may be stuck, but the throttle cable itself could be froze up too. I let my 110 sit outside uncovered for only 2 weeks and the throttle was stuck solid. In that case soak the whole cable in a bucket of used motor oil overnight.

firehart
09-08-2004, 03:17 PM
I sprayed some WD-40 on the top end of the cable and down in the area where I think the slide is. The cable is not sticking anymore now. It seems to have a lot of kick when I try to start it. Maybe later today I'll try putting some gas it and push starting it. Is the choke all the way up or all the way down?

ScottZJ
09-08-2004, 03:28 PM
Soak that baby in a bucket of old motor oil for a few days. Put a rock or something heavy to keep every part of it submerged. Once you finish it. Wipe off the out side of the cable and use some plyers to move it in and out to make sure it slides nicely. If not keep doing this....very easy fix.