PDA

View Full Version : atc 250r/500 clutch problem

gasmask
09-04-2004, 07:13 AM
i finally got my project running but now the clutch is acting up...when i crank it, pull the clutch lever in, put it in first gear, it shuts off. the clutch will not engauge...new clutch kit installed...any advice so i can test ride today...

hondatrikesrule22
09-04-2004, 04:14 PM
Rev the engine up then let the clutch lever go.

KASEY
09-04-2004, 05:12 PM
its obvious you have put something together wrong,,,, i say tear it down and see what is wrong. there is no magical fix , so best to start over,,,,,,,,

gasmask
09-04-2004, 09:26 PM
ok i removed the clutch cover...i tried turning the the clutch's it's self & it would not turn...i started loosing the clutch nut & as i loosen that nut the clutch started turning freely...the nut was to tight...i put the motor back in the frame with the clutch off...i pulled the lever & the clutch section started pushing out...{GOOD}...but not good enough...i noticed my clutch lifter lever or actuator was doing a two step process... i pulled the lifter lever out a saw it was worn down where the rod lays...i hope by replacing that lever it would fix my problem...the only problem is that the part is discontinued for the 85 cr 500...i hope the 86 model will work to fix my problem...DO ANYBODY HAVE A GOOD CLUTCH LIFTER LEVER????

hondaATCman
09-04-2004, 10:21 PM
Did you soak the new clutches in oil overnight before you installed them? Did you put a new clutch basket in? When I put my Quadracer back together, I could hold the clutch in, put it in first and it would shut off with the clutch lever still held in. I took the clutches back off and the basket was grooved very badly. I put a new basket on and it worked great.

gasmask
09-05-2004, 04:35 AM
yes i soaked the clutchs over night in oil...when i pull the lever in the clutch plates etc. are not moving outward enough to let the transmission go into gear...