PDA

View Full Version : Emergency! 200x help needed fast!

3WheelHouston
01-03-2003, 02:04 AM
I have all of tomorrow to get my 200x ready for hunting this weekend. It ran great last night, but this morning it just wouldn't start. Not even push start, and last night it started first kick. It acts like it's not getting fuel in the cylinder. I dunno. I cleaned the carb, I checked the fuel filter and the petcock, changed the plug, and it is sparking. I dunno what else to do. HELP!!!

Jonathan
01-03-2003, 02:46 AM
Did you check the timing? Did you take the carb apart when you cleaned it and look to be sure the jets aren't clogged?

NOS_350X
01-03-2003, 03:13 AM
well check if your getting spark first if you are then look to see if your getting gas if it backfires consistantly then the timeing is off but i dont htink you have a timeing problem

3WheelHouston
01-03-2003, 03:14 AM
Yes, I took it all apart, and checked the jets. I blew carb cleaner through every hole. How do I check the timing? And any other ideas?

3WheelHouston
01-03-2003, 03:18 AM
How do I know for sure if gas is getting to the engine from the carb? And I know I'm getting spark.

jeswinehart
01-03-2003, 06:16 AM
3WheelHouston, try a little either, or w.d.-40 into the carb. if it trys to fire then for sure it would be a fuel problem + help you narrow down the troubles. it might be easier to pull the plug and giveit a shot in the ole plug hole rather then getting into the airbox.

john

jeswinehart
01-03-2003, 07:15 AM
3WheelHouston, i thought of something else while making up my lunch.
try opening the fuel drain screw on the bottom bowl of your carb. if it's running out, well fuel is getting to that point. if not,,, you can back track up-stream from there.
if ya got fuel in the hose up to the carb but yet nothing coming out the bowl drain,,, that would tend to make me think the floats are hung in the up position. try tapping on the side of the carb with fuel on-bowl drain screw open. if that is it you might be able to get the floats to drop w/o having to take the carb back off. you will know if gas starts running all over your floor.

good luck,,, john

waterfowler
01-03-2003, 11:10 AM
Lets hope that it just fuel issues. I would agree with the earlier posts as far as troubleshooting. If all fails, think about this. I had a similar issue occur to me, the thing ran one day and wouldn't the next. After going through all the troubleshooting I pulled the head off and found that the intake valve keepers had broken and let go of the valve. I had to replace the intake valve and keepers (intake valve cause I bent it trying to start it) and it fired right up after that. Hope that's not it.

Honda300ex
01-03-2003, 11:27 AM
Why would you use a 200x for hunting? :(

cmracer15
01-03-2003, 12:52 PM
after you kick it over a few times..take your spark plug out and look at it to see if looks wet. if so..your getitn gas. i dont see how your timing could change itself over night. but i agree with the other guys on checking your float just to make sure. it wont take 5 minutes. also..is your compression up where it needs to be??..if it has low compression and its cold outside i alaways have trouble starting things.

Tri-Z dude
01-03-2003, 02:20 PM
if my trike doesnt start when its cold (which 85% of the time it does) i put it in the shop and turn on the space heater and it fires right up about ten minutes af the heater on it
Ben

waterfowler
01-03-2003, 02:42 PM
In cold weather I have also opened the pilot screw about 1/2 turn. Still not 100% sure on what the pilot does completely, but it does allow me to initially start my X when really cold.

3WheelHouston
01-03-2003, 03:47 PM
I use it for hunting because my grandfather and uncle and family are on the other trikes. But this X is for more haulin ass and roostin quads than hunting. Hunting is just another excuse to ride it. :-D Okay, the floats aren't stuck, but the plug didn't look wet. I will check the floats again today, and as I am in Houston, the temperature shouldn't be a problem. Other than that the valves sound scary. I hope it's not that too.

200xer
01-03-2003, 04:31 PM
is the petcock on? is there gas in the tank? stupid questions, but the last thing always checked hehe