PDA

View Full Version : 200s spark problems.

kryppy
09-03-2004, 09:17 PM
Thing was fine when I parked it. Has no spark now. Checked the kill switch. Replaced the coil, CDI and the little module on the frame. I'm thinking the stator or what ever is behind the flywheel is to blame.
I didn't pull the flywheel yet, hoping for some way to check it with the VOM or some other way.

thefox
09-03-2004, 10:23 PM
To check the stator coil (behind the pull starter) measure the resistance between the black/red wire and ground, it should be 245 ohms. The stator seems to be the weakest link in the electrical system on the honda 200 and 185 trikes.

kryppy
09-03-2004, 11:20 PM
To check the stator coil (behind the pull starter) measure the resistance between the black/red wire and ground, it should be 245 ohms. The stator seems to be the weakest link in the electrical system on the honda 200 and 185 trikes.

I swear this bike is cursed. It reads open between ground and the black/red and the other two in the plug. I guess I got to get the flywheel off. Any pointers?

kryppy
09-03-2004, 11:28 PM

Just thinking, can you replace or supliment the stator with a small battery?

thefox
09-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Just thinking, can you replace or supliment the stator with a small battery?

Nope the stator can't be replaced by a battery. Take off the pull staer and flywheel and check to see if there are any broken wires. If the coil does need to be replaced then look for an aftermarket because they are a lot cheaper then the honda one, I think Howdy has some.

83185s
09-05-2004, 12:44 AM
my 185s did that a few times..my problem was the ground wire for some reason kept falling out of the socket...i suggest checkin all trailprotrailpro wiring to be sure ..u most likely have by now..and if uve replaced it all then its got to be the stator..to take off the flywheel ull need a puller..trust me u wont get it off without one..unless trailprotrailpro flywheel key snaps..like mine..anyway..yea its got to be the stator..or trailprotrailpro plug..check it and clean it all up even if its not "dirty" or watever..just to be on the safe side

kryppy
09-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Finally had some time this weekend. Have three junk motors. All the stators are bad. One reads open, and the other two are direct shorts.
The only good one I have is in a 81 200, which my puller seems not to fit.
I don't even know if it would be right. I guess I need to buy one.

Well, at least I can fix any spark related problem in the field now.

MTS
09-26-2004, 10:36 PM
try hosin it down with some wd-40 in all the eletrical conections and in the stator if you can..some times it dose the trick..lol and yea from what iv experiancd the 200 and 185 stators are pretty common problem

kryppy
09-28-2004, 07:39 AM
try hosin it down with some wd-40 in all the eletrical conections and in the stator if you can..some times it dose the trick..lol and yea from what iv experiancd the 200 and 185 stators are pretty common problem

I'm just glad I learned how to do it in my garage, and not the woods.
I'll have to thank the guy who threw the little puller in my box of junk parts..I just wish I knew which bike pile it came from!! It will certainly be riding in the toolbox from now on.