PDA

View Full Version : Damn starter problem.. HELP.

bigredhead
09-02-2004, 10:50 PM
okydoky.

got an 84 big red 200 es.

Green neutral light comes on no problem. . will start with pull start no problem ( 2 pulls after sitting over a week !! )

You hit the starter button and nadda.

Checked fuses, all good.

Jumped the battery directly to the starter selenoid and she turns, only thing i can see is a problem on the shifter side of the bike where the wires go into the tranny and to the high/low/reverse switch.

I think i might run a wire to the switch directly, which will result in a starter that will turn even without the bike being in neutral or on RUN.. kinda dangerous........ but elect start is a nice thing to have !!!!!!

Can anyone fill me in on possible problems in this aerea of the bike ? or even a diagram of how to get at these switches..
\

:(

bigredhead
09-03-2004, 11:01 AM
Anyone able to help in any way ?????

I'll get on my knees and beg if i have to !!!

ClayW
09-03-2004, 11:53 AM
Your post is a little unclear. Your electric start doesnt work, but you can get the starter to turn over and spin. Is this right? Mine acts up every now. LIght comes on and i might get a click if im lucky. Wont do a thing. I can then run a hot wire from the battery to the yellow wire on the solenoid and it will start turning over and crank, If the key is on. If the key is off it just spins away. Once i have done this it is good to go for a while. Dont know why. If it will crank when you do that, somethings worn out. I dont know what, but something. I thought it was the keyed ignition on mine but a swapped it and it still did it. DOnt know. Fill me in a little more and I might be able to help. I posted a question on my problem a while back and didnt get much help. But mine is working now. LOL
:D
Clay

trikerider2oo7
09-03-2004, 12:03 PM
my 84 200 big red did that not too long ago...it did the same thing as your bikes. there was corrrosion on one of the terminals. i cleaned it off and it whirled right over and started up

bigredhead
09-03-2004, 12:59 PM
I've traced the wiring from front to back..

Behind the battery is the starter selenoid i beleive.. GreenRed wire and Yellow, when these are jumped directly to the battery, it turns over and starts no problem.

I had cut the wire 2 inches before the switch to expose the wires and make sure the switch was not the problem initially....

The start button switch was coroded real bad,, i cleaned it up, sanded the connections, put it back together and tested with an Ohm meter.. got continuity now.

The GreenRed and Yellow wires go from the selenoid ( not sure if that's what you call it.. but the part behind the battery that leads to the starter. ) go to the tranny and hook up to the High/Low/Reverse lever, so that the bike can't be started when the lever is between H/L/R positions or when the bike is in gear... i think the problem is in this part of the bike..

the connections behind the light are good.. The keyed ignition is kinda messed up.. the previous owner's girlfriends's son tried to hotwire it and he broke the key port off the bottom part.. i can turn it with a flat screwdriver and the green Neutral light works fine, i see 4 wires on that switch.. Black, Yellow, Green, and Red.

What details do you guys need exactly???? i put about 4 hours on this yesterday and really REALLY want to have it working by sunday !!

OldSchoolin86
09-03-2004, 01:18 PM
Where is the nuetral safety switch on these?

bigredhead
09-03-2004, 01:21 PM
I think it's behind the pull starter or close to it !

Anyone with a manual ??? I bid on one on e-bay but was outbid by 50 cents.. arghhh

i think it the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro that the auction.. he's bidding on his own items to crank the price up....

MTS
09-03-2004, 06:45 PM
i think its your starter silonoid..thats what iv experianced with quads...look at bikebandit.com for a diagram

4cylinders
09-03-2004, 10:02 PM
hey, I've had that problem, took the switch off the bar and cleaned it. worked fine, just had some junk in it.