PDA

View Full Version : we need a stickey on tires.

conig
09-02-2004, 03:54 PM
While I am not a stranger to three wheelers and rode on from the time I was 5 to 17, I still have many questions on things I never figured out back then. Primarily because at that time we received free parts and labor from a local italian motorcycle/polaris dealer.

That being said with cars tires are your most important modification for performacne and different tires are used to dictate how your machine rides acts etc. So I have some questions and think we need a sticky on how tread pattern, tire plys and construction, side wall width etc effect a tire.

So what is a good tire for trail ride handling? and so that the trike will slide. Also one thing I noticed is mud tires are cheeper then knobbies and usually come in a higher ply for a cheeper price.

Bascially everything and anything that will effect a trikes handling from the tire.

I want to get rid of my chein seng (spelling) 2 ply radial knobbys for somthing else. I want a square shaped 4+ ply tire that will handle good and slide some. I really like the itp mud light tires but I doubt these will slide and will have to much bite for my front tire.

thanks, hope this suggestion is considered.

370banshee
09-02-2004, 09:41 PM
try some maxis razrs for the rear i use them on my banshee and they slide just fine but then again any tire on the back of a banshee will slide. a razr front for a quad might also work good on your trike

83200e
09-03-2004, 10:37 AM
I'm a diehard woolly booger fan,but then again I dont do too much slidin around . I have an 85 big red that has buckshot mudders and it will slide about as good as any "mud tire".Handles great on trails. I always run knobbies on the front.

H.M.F.I.C.
09-03-2004, 11:09 PM
On my 110 I run the classic Wooley Boogers. The are pretty much unstopable in the mud. On my 85 ATC 250R I run Hole Shots. I like them because they are lite and I can slide it through the turns at will. As far as my banshee goes i run Kenda Klaws. I have been through many sets of rear on it and i just like these best. But like 2strokefreak said they will all slide on the back of a shee.

TrikerR
09-04-2004, 12:07 AM
i like the wooly boogers on my 110 also...great all round tyre

conig
10-27-2004, 05:10 PM
I'm getting closer to new tires, does anybody have any pics of the wooly boogers? or know what site I can get them from? I did a google search but all I could find was lures for bass fishing.

hondatrikesrule22
10-27-2004, 06:05 PM
The wooley boogers will hook up too good for what you want. Try...

Turf Tamers
Maxxis Razrs or Razr 2
Titan fast trekker
Holeshots

Those are just a few.

conig
10-27-2004, 06:40 PM
present tires. (http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=54773&store=Main&productId=p54773&catId=1&leafCatId=10802)

hondatrike22 or others

what do you think of the above tire? this is the tires I presently have on the back of my big red. It feels ready to tip over all the time on me. I have also tried to put body english into my turns with very little success. I am actually getting pretty good at 2 wheel corners lol . I'm not trying to flat track race this machine, but going on 2 wheels anything over 15mph sucks.

to anyof you guys with this trike or a 250sx how do you take your turns?

MTS
10-27-2004, 11:25 PM
conig i have simlir tred patternd tires on my 82'200 it slides fin and handels well on the trails..i lean into corners and swing the back end around but have no problem with them...other than they have no bite for snow and mud and well...that just sucks..lol

hondatrikesrule22
10-28-2004, 10:51 AM
present tires. (http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=54773&store=Main&productId=p54773&catId=1&leafCatId=10802)

hondatrike22 or others

what do you think of the above tire? this is the tires I presently have on the back of my big red. It feels ready to tip over all the time on me. I have also tried to put body english into my turns with very little success. I am actually getting pretty good at 2 wheel corners lol . I'm not trying to flat track race this machine, but going on 2 wheels anything over 15mph sucks.

to anyof you guys with this trike or a 250sx how do you take your turns?

They are ballon tires, and they are round and will make the bike wanna tip over. In your first post, its sounds like the Maxxis Razr 2s will be perfect. They are a MX tire, not a mud tire. BUT, they have a really agrressive tread pattern. The are sqaure shaped, they have a 6 ply rating, and slide good. :)

conig
10-28-2004, 12:47 PM
thanks guys, I fugured the round shape was hurting me.

I love the razr's and plan to get em for my scrambler but theres no 25incher like I need for the big red. turf tamer has a 25incher. I have wanted wheel spacers for this thing anyway, so I am going to order those today and see if it helps me out. 2.5 inches a side. hopefully this will give me more stability until I purchase new rims and tires for the red.

I keep going back and forth between new rims and tires for the red or new rims and tires for the scrambler.

I appreciate all replys and will post back when I get my wheel spacers. If anyone has used UM wheel spacers let me know, and I've never had more then a foot of air on my red so I feel comfirtable using spacers.

Big_Red_Ryder
01-14-2005, 01:17 PM
I use Super Swamper Vampires on my 86 Honda Big Red 250es. They are absolutely unstoppable in the mud but are not made at all for any type of black top. (wobble, wobble). They are costly though. And about every 5 to 7 years depending on how much you go mudding you will need to replace basically your entire rear end. (rear differential, axle, seals and bearrings) The reason is that the tires will NOT ever slip! I mean never! Even when they need to. This grinds gears over time.

For me, it is worth it. I can make it through anything and if the friends i'm riding with at the time get stuck I can back up and pull them through as well. Can you smell the testosterone in the air people??!!! can you?

83185s
01-15-2005, 02:01 PM
i got that on the front of my 83 185s...it dont get good trction for the front at all..i got carlisle trail pros on the back and they mud like a mofo!! and they do slide alot also..i go into my driveway in 5th and get it sideways around it and the just keep goin! they are also great for the trails (hince the name) ...they climb hills really good also..i have 22x11-8 on mine