PDA

View Full Version : Cam "Seize"ure

plkmonster2
08-31-2004, 02:50 PM
Well, I know I should have fixed this problem a little earlier, perhaps when it happened. Hehe. When I got my yamahauler running, I let it warm up, and broke it in. ther next day, I took it for a drive. After warming it up, i got about 1/2 mile down the road, and I hear this wretched screeching noise. I'm still riding it, and in confusion, I kill the big red switch, and let it coast to a stop. I try to pull start it, and it is stuck. I knew something was wrong, so I let it cool down, and start to push it home. About halfway there, I'm pooped out, pushing this heavy thing up a slight grade. So I try to start it, and it does. I rode it back to my house, and as I'm pulling into the shop, and the wicked squeel comes back. I was so pissed I shut it off, and went inside. I changed the oil, and found chunks of trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro that had sat in there for about the 7 years or so it sat. I rode it for another month with no problems. Its been around 6 months, and every so ofen, there is an anoying knock. I tried high octane, no difference... The I remebered the cam. Today, I go and take it out. I get it out, and try the pull the bushing off, and she is stuck, but it turns on there. With a trusted hammer and punch, I get it off. There is 3 grooves in it from where the cam runs. The I see all the burnt oil on the bushing and cam :eek: I know I need a new cam and bushing, so does anyone have one? Thanks, Oh yeah, you want to know how hot that thing got? If you look at my cam gear, it's discolored and blueish! :) :D

kilabeez0
08-31-2004, 06:04 PM
i found mine the same way. u got any pics of it?

n8dizzle2003
08-31-2004, 09:46 PM
You should checking into what made it get that hot before you dish out all that money and it happens again. Like make sure the oil pump, if it has one, is in good working order and all oil passages.... just some suggestions

MTS
08-31-2004, 10:52 PM
You should checking into what made it get that hot before you dish out all that money and it happens again. Like make sure the oil pump, if it has one, is in good working order and all oil passages.... just some suggestions
yea iv had problems with the old yamaha pro hauler 300....oil pump went and did the same thing ... :eek:

kilabeez0
08-31-2004, 11:10 PM
i have to replace my pump because i dropped the engine anyway :Evil but how do you know if the oil pump is broken?

plkmonster2
09-04-2004, 05:23 PM
the problem with mine was a clogged port. I got it cleared out now, and there is a lot of oil squirting through there when I turn it over.

thefox
09-04-2004, 08:51 PM
Don't forget that the Tri Moto's have an oil check boot for the top end. It is by the intake valve cover on the right side. Take the screw out when the trike is running and oil should come out, if not then the top end isn't getting oil.

83185s
09-05-2004, 12:57 AM
my 185 did that...it didnt get any oil to the cam bushing and it tore it up pretty bad..i had to stick the cam in the vise to get the bushing off...if i was u id get a new cam and bushing and check trailprotrailpro oil pump..the screeching sound is from overheating..no oil to the piston or head ...check trailprotrailpro rings and all 2 or else ull get it all done and then itll smoke really bad if the rings are fried