PDA

View Full Version : can anyone help?

85 250sx
08-30-2004, 11:06 PM
I just bout a 85 250sx about a month ago. this is my first ever atv and i do not now much about them or engines i just know there fun to ride!! any how ive been riding it for about a month now and i started to wonder if it needs any weekly or monthly maintenance all i have been doing is adding gas?

the three wheeler itself seems to be in good condition but i have noticed one thing is that some times as im stifting between gears it will stay in nuetral and then when i pop it back in gear the gears will grind a bit but it bearly ever happens is there something wrong?
If anyone could help me out i would greatly appreciate it Thank you

hondawilly
08-30-2004, 11:14 PM
check the oil

mad_max
08-30-2004, 11:24 PM
Another thing to be aware of is that the SX has a tendency to loosen the shifter pin (basically a bolt) that is inside the left hand side cover on the engine. It can lead to problems like the shifter will stay up or down and wont return to the middle position. The shifter pin can get loose and eventually break off. Dont let this bother you though, the SX is a helluva good 3wheeler.

200xBoy
08-30-2004, 11:24 PM
Dont check the oil just drain it all out and put new in. Ide also put a new plug. Check the brake fluid. Tire preasure. And change the fuel filter or add one if it dosent have one.

TTribaLL
08-31-2004, 01:35 AM
I allways do regular matainence on all of my machines and any other machines I drive. Sorta like what that sticker says on some trucks "check your vehicle" or something, well I allways look all around the machine and if it looks good to go then I go! I also do all the fluids and check if everything is lubbed right(grease). The chain should be checked for extra slack, all the bolts should be tight, the stearing should be tight, its just common sense really. You should get a shop manual for your bike, It can be priceless in some situations(like your gear skipping problem).

Trust me, after a while you will know your trike like the back of your hand. Like I said before, once you get to know your trike it will just be common sense to figure out what your trike needs to run properly.

Also I never use the same oil for more than 20-40 hours of driving or so, by then it is usually black and not as good as new. It also makes your engine go that extra mile.