PDA

View Full Version : how to find TDC on the piston

svo58
08-26-2004, 07:56 PM
I have to retime my 200es big red,i have to find TDC of the compression stroke.I know you have to rotate the crankshaft counter clockwise to see if the T mark lines up with the index under the timing mark hole cap,my big red don't start, i put in a good CDI ,i have good spark ,i put a carb. off a running trike .i put a cylinder head cover off a spare motor ,do the valves have to be adjusted.Any ideas why it don't start,did i over look something.Need help please,this is my first time at this.I have a shop manual for a ATC big red 200es 84.any help would be great thanks ,svo58

200xman
08-26-2004, 09:07 PM
Where on Long Island are you? I have a 84 Big Red and can probably help you out. I'm allways up for a road trip. There are 2 times that the mark will line up, the top of the ex. stroke and the top of the compression. The easiest way to get it right is to pulll the valve adjusting caps and rotate the engine until you see the intake valve close. then you watch in the hole for the T mark. This is much easier if you remove the plug first so yoiu don't have to deal with compression.

renotrikeguy
08-26-2004, 09:41 PM
And the smaller of the two valves is the intake correct?

svo58
08-26-2004, 10:05 PM
I live in bay shore,long island,if you can help me it would be great

3 weelin geezer
08-27-2004, 12:41 AM
I found it easier to look in the plug hole and it was when the piston is comeing up and the valves both close. Then I looked for the 'F' mark to line up and there it was then I flipped the cdi rotor around where it should have been (-was- before I dropped it) and it works...then the left tire went flat. Oh, well. It was a fun 20 minutes of riding.

200xman
08-27-2004, 06:34 AM
And the smaller of the two valves is the intake correct?
The larger valve is the intake. It also happens to be the one closest to the carb.

83185s
08-27-2004, 05:21 PM
its gettin spark and fuel? u sure if it gettin both it would start...are u sure the cam gear is in the right spot on the cam?

svo58
08-27-2004, 06:21 PM
how do you check the cam gear ,i moved it .I could have put it in wrong and if thats wrong ,the other timing would be wrong also