PDA

View Full Version : New member/homemade trike

400ccHomemade
08-25-2004, 06:27 AM
Just thought I'd say hi and give a description of my 3 wheeler. It started out life as an 82 400cc Yamaha street bike. I had one too many close calls of people pulling out in front of me, etc, so I decided to take it off the road. But, I didn't want to sell it eithor, so I decided to make an off-road vehicle. It's actually a pretty long story, with many different "stages", but I will cut right to it's current stage. I put the widest dirtbike tire I could fit on the front. (had to make my own fender, the stock one was too low and narrow) Made my own rear suspension using junkyard motorcycle coil-over shocks. It's a trailing arm suspension. Used a 1 inch rear axle with 12" tall rear wheels, and tractor ag tires. The tread pattern is like this: >>>>>> I had to make my own baffles because with the rear suspension, there was no room for the stock mufflers. Made a grab bar on the front for when I need to turn around or drag myself out of a mud pit or whatever. With those aggrestive back tires and light motorcycle front end, I had to make a set of wheelie bars. The front end WOULD NOT stay down. I built them up pretty high so they're out of the way and I can still have some fun. I'm in the process of adding rear fenders because I really get hosed with mud.
It's a huge beastly lookin thing, motorcycles are really tall, and I made it 52 inches wide, so it handles really well and does a nice donut. Nice meeting fellow trikers. :beer

ScottZJ
08-25-2004, 07:04 AM
Sounds like a very interesting concept. You got any pics of it? I always love to see street bike conversion 3 wheelers..............peace

400ccHomemade
08-25-2004, 07:20 AM
I'll try and scan a few, I'm still pretty shaky with computors, I'm used to being outside. :Bounce