PDA

View Full Version : adjusting carb.

conig
08-22-2004, 08:57 PM
hey guys. I posted a couple days ago about my 85 big red and tire exhaust recomendations. I rebuilt my carb and the bad doy started rite up but had a rough idle. I was getting some smoke out the tail pipe so I think I was too rich.

I started adjusting the needle with the little room I had to work with, and now my trike doesn;t even want to idle it runs with the choke on but won't with it off. I assume it is starving for fuel. whihc way do I adjust the screw to smooth out the idle i.e. richen or lean out thye mixture?

any and all help is appreciated. I also would like to know what rear diff fluid to use as I should change this before I really take it riding and my new tire should be on tuesday.

thanks and any help is appreciated.

conig
08-23-2004, 05:14 PM
bump. Im sorry I am not more educated on this subject but any direction will help me with this, my new tire comes in tommorrow and I would like to have a steady idle.

jeswinehart
08-23-2004, 08:41 PM
okay ... i'll give it a shot for information for you.
i personally know the bigred 250 carbs are not the eaisest to get to or to work on.
looking down at the carb from the top ... the higher you move the circlip holding the needle valve i place ... it will lean the carb out
or another way of saying it is the amount of lowering the needle will lean it out.
the stock setting for the 85 bigred is 2nd. groove from the top of the needle.
the only other screw adjustment to mess with is called the pilot screw adjustment. that is set at 2 turns out from being all the way in ( and don't much mess with it from past experiance )
you also might just get it going and keep it going for a spell. pull the plug and see what it's telling you. you can also buy hotter plugs and gap them a little longer ( 34 thousands ain't to much IMO ).

good luck ... john

p.s. - check your air filter too ,,,, make sure it's clean.

conig
08-24-2004, 10:51 AM
thanks man. getting it to the stock setting will definately help. the carb is a pain to get to I have to pretty much remove the tank and adjust it. I think I inedvertantly messed with the pivot screw last night I had it idleing just extremely rich.

air filter is clean and I plan to pick a new plug up today.

thanks again.