PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Tecate motor winding out

Meat-BoX
08-21-2004, 06:56 PM
I had the Tecate motor rebuilt and trailprotrailpro it would wind out no matter what we did to the carb. We figured it was sucking air from somewhere. I got it back in and its doing it again. The carb is rebuilt and Im wondering if its the carb or maybe the CDI box? Any help would be appreciated. I've waited 8 years and I was hoping to ride it tonight for the 1st time. Now I have to suffer longer. :mad:

ATCwithdrawals
08-21-2004, 07:28 PM
so when you start it up it is reving right up without giving it any throttle????Check to see if you have any free play in your throttle cable and see how much clearance you have between the throat slide and barrel of the carb.

tecatecrazy
08-22-2004, 01:10 PM
Ive had air leaks where the carb boot meets the cylinder. If you have recently had the motor rebuilt this would be the first place I would look.

Meat-BoX
08-22-2004, 01:26 PM
Only two ideas. Thanks guys for your help. I guess no one else can help. You would think someone would want to solve the mystery :rolleyes:

Meat-BoX
08-22-2004, 03:01 PM
Ok I adjusted and re routed the throttle cable. I got some throttle response and it didnt run wide open for a second. I gave it a twist and it acts like the throttle sticks even though it wasnt stuck. Now the GOOD PART, It started winding out so I hit the kill switch, it didnt work so I yanked the Plug Cap. I kept on running. No plug and kill switch off. I thought it was gonna blow. I twisted the throttle and it bogged out and died. Im thinking its my throttle and the carb. Can a carb do this if its not rebuilt right. The throttle is an aftermarket Twist. This thing has a mind of its own. Ive never seen something like that. Whers all the carb pro's? :rolleyes:
O yea the idle screw doesnt seem to do anything.

Macs
08-22-2004, 03:14 PM
besides air leaks i have had a problem when the carb is not getting enough fuel. my petcock was clogged. it would have to sit for about 10 seconds before it would start then when you cranked it up it would rev out. the kill switch wouldnt stop it. it would rev until the carb ran out of fuel which was only a couple of seconds. check your fuel filter lines and petcock. it is definatly worth a try.

Meat-BoX
08-22-2004, 03:20 PM
I definatly need a petcock it messed up so I took it aparty and made it so it is allways on. The filters were dirty also. Thank you.

Meat-BoX
08-22-2004, 04:49 PM
It was the Idle screw. :(
Im used to the screw being all the way in and backing it out to idle. This carb you have to screw it all the way out then screw it in. My friend figured it out. The Tecate Project is alive and I finally got to ride it after 8 years. Now I need to cut my Rear fender for the seat and its done. Pics soon to come I guess. :beer

TeCaTe_MaN
08-23-2004, 02:51 AM
that kill switch thing happened to me one time, it wound out so high and it wouldnt die, i got off the bike and ran, really...i thought the thing was gonna detonate, it turns out that it was because of the fuel flow