PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding forks

Macs
08-21-2004, 02:43 AM
my forks on my 83r are totally shot. i have never messed with forks before. i was told you can air them up bu that dont sound right. is there any special tools you need and what will i need to look for when doing this?

jeswinehart
08-21-2004, 01:41 PM
when i done my 350x forks i didn't think it was a real hard job at all. i did have one fork give me a rough time cause a recessed bolt at the bottom of the fork tube would just spin and wouldn't back it'self out. i spoke with howdy about it and he knew exactly what the trick was to get it out. that really was out of the norn so i'd hafta say it's basically a fairly easy process if you have a manual to guide you along.
if you don't have a manual for your "r" barry ,,, p.m. me your mail addy and i'll make copys of the 4 or 5 pages about rebuilding the front forks and send it off to you monday morning.

john

Macs
08-21-2004, 02:06 PM
i will just buy a manual. i am not going to start until the comp-lete rebuild this winter. but thanks

84honda 200X
08-21-2004, 02:15 PM
You can also air them up to give them more stiffness. I give my 200X about 5 pounds of air in eash fork to give them firm stiffness.

Meat-BoX
08-21-2004, 02:45 PM
They are Pretty simple to redo. Install some new fork seals and new oil. I even seen after market springs and 1" spacers for em to make for better handling. Good luck :beer

BigGreenMachine
08-21-2004, 10:20 PM
And with the Tecate Progressive springs I have you don't even have to recharge the forks with air or nitrogen. I'd recommend the Progressive springs for your rebuild.

Glenn J
08-21-2004, 10:32 PM
You can also air them up to give them more stiffness. I give my 200X about 5 pounds of air in eash fork to give them firm stiffness.

The factory manual for the 200X states forks should be running 0 psi. In fact, it's a good idea to let the air out after a good ride.

If your forks need air to stiffen up, it's probably time for a rebuild. I replaced the seals and changed the fluid in mine and they operate much better. It's amazing what new fluid will do to the performance of your shocks.

Meat-BoX
08-21-2004, 11:30 PM
Where can you find these Tecate Progressive springs. Im interested